• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping A Swimming Pool

Grafix

Hi All
I've been given a job to wrap one side (outside) of an indoor concrete heated swimming pool with a mural image. The current surface has a bit of peeling paint. I've advised the owner (swim school) that the wall needs to be sanded down and repainted in an enamel gloss so it is a smooth-ish surface on which to apply the vinyl. The owner thinks I can just apply the vinyl over top!!!
I was thinking of using 2105+2000 Lam or Oracal 3551+215 lam.
What should I seal the edges with? because I'm pretty sure this will need to be done.
Any hints/tips, things I should avoid?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I would have them sign a waiver as to not hold you accountable. We just had a similar situation with a magnetic sign. Customer insisted that it be a black background and their vehicle is black. We advised that the magnet in this Florida sun would "cook" the clearcoat and ruin the paint. Still insists so we're having them sign a waiver.

Grafix

You could use a material like this, but I think it is more for the bottom of the pool. I don't think the owner is correct about just putting the vinyl over the messed up areas. AquaFlex® - Ultraflex
Thanks for this advice. I'm actually applying it to the outside not inside the pool, but I'll show them this brochure and see if they are interested. Could be a bigger sale :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've hand painted the inside of cement pools years ago, but not anything remotely like this. Would you mind posting up some pictures when it's done ?? Heck, maybe even some along the way, too.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I have painted and hand lettered building signs, and if there is and flaking, or peeling or cracking of any sort, it will need to be cleaned, even, and, or pressure washed to clean it. It must be 100% dirt free or nothing will stick very long. If it is coated with stucco and rough, of course it should probably be smoothed.
I guess I'm Old Skool, but would never do anything on concrete except, hand paint it with oil base paint, and maybe a good latex would work, but I can't imagine a vinyl graphic of any sort sticking for very long, with out some sort of rolled on adhesive being applied first. Looking forward to seeing what the New Skoolers have to offer. Us old Dawgs can always stand to learn a few new tricks.

Grafix

Spoken to my vinyl supplier and they recommended Aslan DFP45 or Orajet 3954. The Aslan, while more expensive doesn't require laminate so they would probably even up in price, and it has a 3 year outdoor life where the Orajet is 1 year. Theres a good link on You Tube showing the Aslan being applied to stucco finish. Pretty impressive. I'll get a sample and try first. Will post picks when it;s done!
Thanks all for your advice