• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a trailer with... nothing

ikarasu

I dont like 3M 1080... Too many glue lines and other issues. Avery gloss is better, as is Vivvids.

Vivvid is more thick / easier to work with, especially in heat.

https://vvividshop.com/products/gloss-white Ignore the list price... if you open a business acct with them you get around 20% off. They also allow orders in 5 FT increments, which is nice for jobs like this.

IJ35 / 40 is thick enough that you shouldn't need an overlam, especially since you've wrapped before. Flat application is easy... you should be able to get by with anything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Something I don't get??

Because it's hot and miserable where one is, determines the vinyl to be used ?? Instead of finding a proper place in which to produce a good finished product, you're gonna sacrifice quality for ease of use ??

Seems like an odd statement or policy for a professional business. How much dust and dirt, bugs and whatever else is in the air do you get on one of your install ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How much dust and dirt, bugs and whatever else is in the air do you get on one of your install ??
None

Because it's hot and miserable where one is, determines the vinyl to be used ?? Instead of finding a proper place in which to produce a good finished product, you're gonna sacrifice quality for ease of use ??

You've never applied vinyl outside before? Ever do a "storefront wrap"? ..... Sheltered boy...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Twice you mentioned how difficult it will be for you, hence my question why not to find the proper place to do it ??

Your words, not mine.... Inept Boy....​

but its summer here and I was worried thin cast would be tricky outdoors when its 100+ outside.

it's impossible to do wraps in the Texas summer sun.

Besides, we're not talking about storefronts.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
I'm open to cast, but its summer here and I was worried thin cast would be tricky outdoors when its 100+ outside. Would IJ40 be OK?
I was just going to recommend IJ40. Cheap and works great on flat surfaces. I would lam with a cheap cast lam so that it saved time on install.

Marlene

Here's a question, does it have to be plain old white? Seems like a good chance to upsell and talk them into adding color, a photo or something.

Johnny Best

Twice you mentioned how difficult it will be for you, hence my question why not to find the proper place to do it ??

Your words, not mine.... Inept Boy....​

but its summer here and I was worried thin cast would be tricky outdoors when its 100+ outside.

it's impossible to do wraps in the Texas summer sun.

Besides, we're not talking about storefronts.

Give Tex some slack Gino. He is hustling and working hard to learn the ropes. Pretty soon after he saves a little money he will mortgage the house, get a HP printer, laminator and a warehouse. Start to hire employees, come on here and complain about how they don't have the same mindset as his. Talk about the economy and the state of the government tariffs on steel and aluminum. Then building his business up with 10 employees and putting his kids through college with a vacation home in Oklahoma.
Then one day his wife shows up and finds him with his accountant fooling around on his office desk.
His wife takes him for everything he has and his daughter who majored in economics takes over the company and takes it nationally.
Tex then goes back to putting vinyl on trailers under the bridge where he now lives.

fresh

I'd use avery 750 easy apply. Its calendared with air release, and its awesome. I KNOW everyone says to never, ever use cal outdoors, but i have used avery 700/750 on tons of projects, and have never had a problem or failure. We have signs on the back of our shop that are 11 years old with the stuff, and from 10 feet away, they still look great. 3 years ago, they were still perfect, they only started cracking recently, and there is no shrinkage or peeling.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Give Tex some slack Gino. He is hustling and working hard to learn the ropes. Pretty soon after he saves a little money he will mortgage the house, get a HP printer, laminator and a warehouse. Start to hire employees, come on here and complain about how they don't have the same mindset as his. Talk about the economy and the state of the government tariffs on steel and aluminum. Then building his business up with 10 employees and putting his kids through college with a vacation home in Oklahoma.
Then one day his wife shows up and finds him with his accountant fooling around on his office desk.
His wife takes him for everything he has and his daughter who majored in economics takes over the company and takes it nationally.
Tex then goes back to putting vinyl on trailers under the bridge where he now lives.

You guys are rough! o_O

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I thought you were talking about ams for a second................... got my coordinates mixed up.

JimmyG

One important thing to consider Texas is that most always with old aluminum cargo trailers is that the original paint turns "chaulky" from age and will require pressure washing and complete scotchbrite scrub all over. Without such no brand or type vinyl is gonna stick well...
Just a thought...:)~

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
One important thing to consider Texas is that most always with old aluminum cargo trailers is that the original paint turns "chaulky" from age and will require pressure washing and complete scotchbrite scrub all over. Without such no brand or type vinyl is gonna stick well...
Just a thought...:)~

Thanks, Yes I factored that into my bid this morning...its moldy and chalky

JimmyG

Yeah, "scotchbrite on a stick" will give ya a real workout in 100 degree heat...LOL we get near that heat in south Gawja....:)~

2B

got to love it when an old trailer shows up, the customer claims it is clean and ready for install.
you wipe a finger across it and turn the finger chalky white, the customer usually just stare wanting to know why extra cleaning is needed and why will it take longer.

in addition to the Scotch-Brite, we use LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner at full strength.
speeds the process up and leaves a cleaner surface

Pat Whatley

Would IJ40 be OK?
That's what we would use. The trailers are flat, IJ40 is made for that. You can use a white color change wrap vinyl but if you're doing it outside in the heat you're gonna hate that stuff. it will stretch in the wrong places and the at the wrong time every time.