• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a vehicle that has only a primer on it

hankweezie

Has anyone ever wrapped a vehicle that is only prime painted, any problems with adhesive not sticking to primer and what could be done.

OldPaint

i think you will find automotive primer will not give vinyl adhesive a good foundation. will probably act like flat finish LATEX....
why doesnt the car have PAINT??? MACCO, ECONOBAKE, PEACH PAINT.....how cheap is the owner????

Pat Whatley

Not an utomobile but a piece of industrial machinery. It had been shot with an epoxy primer. Vinyl stuck just fine and went down nice and smooth. Finished the whole 2' x 8' panel in minutes. Went back to trim the edges and around the holes where the knobs and switches were going to be installed and that's where the trouble started. I'd see a little pucker along an edge and squeegee the devil out of it but couldn't get it to stick. Then shallow bubbles doing the same thing. We left it on for a couple of hours to see what would happen. Slowly but surely the whole thing was going to fail. Removing it took about 10 seconds.

(not as bad as the time I had to vinyl a machine that had been primed with spray cans and not sanded after priming. Told them repeatedly it wasn't going to stick, they told me that it was EXACTLY what the engineer specified and they had to do it that way long enough to get photos. Vinyl didn't even come close to sticking and instead took off the sandable part of the primer. We ended up attaching the vinyl to the machine with paperclips long enough for a photo)

Signsforwhile

We had someone bring us a bumper from a car that had a solid color wrap done last year. The bumper was damaged in an accident they had a body shop bondo it and then primer it only. We cleaned it and cleaned it with alchohol and the rags kept bringing up a gray dust. Finally gave wrapping a shot after 4th good cleaning. Adhesion was extremely poor. Customer took the bumper, had it painted and clear, brought it back and we wrapped it with ease!

so.....short answer - WILL NOT STICK