• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping an Econoline

daenterpri

Hey Guys,

I have a customer that wants to have their 1986 Ford Econoline wrapped. From what I can tell, it's been in the sun it's entire life and there is no paint left. Would you dare wrap something like that? So far everything I've wrapped has had a decent glossy paint job surface.

I'm really hesitant towards touching it. I think they would be better off repainting and then applying graphics on top of that. I'd hate for a $4000+ vehicle wrap to start coming off early because the surface underneath was bad.

Thoughts?

Andy

HulkSmash

Hey Guys,

I have a customer that wants to have their 1986 Ford Econoline wrapped. From what I can tell, it's been in the sun it's entire life and there is no paint left. Would you dare wrap something like that? So far everything I've wrapped has had a decent glossy paint job surface.

I'm really hesitant towards touching it. I think they would be better off repainting and then applying graphics on top of that. I'd hate for a $4000+ vehicle wrap to start coming off early because the surface underneath was bad.

Thoughts?

Andy

1st. 4k+ for a ford econoline? I'm moving to your state.

2nd. We do a lot of food trucks, typically they're stripped down to the aluminum, and we wrap them all the time. If it's a spotty paint job, i wouldn't touch it.

g&eprinting

It will come off real early. Did a van like that and looked real good for like a month.
Stuck real good at first so I didn't think there was a problem. Everything concave came out.
Damn it!

Your price range is good.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Excluding rhe roof of course and dependent to an extent on artwork, here printed on laminated 180, the installed cost runs $2500 to $3000 on a full size cargo van. Little bit more for a window van.

Would be nice to be able to get 4k on a van wrap.

What would you guys figure as the going rate for a vehicle that size? :)

HulkSmash

Excluding rhe roof of course and dependent to an extent on artwork, here printed on laminated 180, the installed cost runs $2500 to $3000 on a full size cargo van. Little bit more for a window van.

Would be nice to be able to get 4k on a van wrap.

2400-2600 here.

daenterpri

I figured the $4k to at least include design. And I'm not completely set on the price yet. I just know that after underbidding a few of these in the past, I'm more proned to bid a little higher and do good work.

Here is the van. Old and dried out :)

Attachments

• oldvan.jpg
    oldvan.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 112

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Ick and extended window van. Little more of a pain that will add to the cost some.

MakeMyGraphic

Hahaha, I have myself an 86 Econoline and was thinking about doing a wrap.... buuut the more I thought of it (and yes it too had been sitting around in the sun for a while so the paint was more like a dry wall) I decided NOPE... a vehicle worth under 2k getting an extensive wrap job would not be worthy for me... too much work and no guarantee that it will last since the paint was no good. I opted instead to have a quickie paint job and am now waiting 1 month before I apply any vinyl lettering to the sides of it :) looks ok for the price I paid...

I don't think anything will stick onto a van that age with that type of paint for longer than 2 months, less if you live somewhere where the weather actually changes. AND I don't even do wraps for a living and I figured this much.... I just been doing a lot of reading is all and I reached this conclusion.

and I know this thread is a couple weeks old but if you did the job I'd like to see pics :)

Jeff S

I would use 3M Primer 94 on every edge and make sure that the customer knows that it may not adhere properly and that you will not warrant it. Suggest that he have the vehicle painted and wait 30 days. If he still decides to have you wrap it, have him sign a waiver that says he is aware that there is no warranty and that you are not liable.

Jeff