• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping an exterior door

Marie

Our customer wants their exterior metal door wrapped. We would use 3M180C and 8519 lam. Their maintenance dept will remove the handle hardware. My concern is how well will the edges will stay down as the door is opened and closed over time. Any tips or suggestions? THANKS!

Just did this recently. Although we used IJ39 and 8519. We wrapped around the edges of the door, customer hasn't had any issues and it's been about a month.

OPENSignsInc.

Ive done quite a few external metal doors. It will hold up just like a car door would. I would try and wrap the edges around to the seam (where inside and outside panels of the door meet) in the door if possible to help adhesion & finish the look.

Door decals that make the door seem like its not there or optical illusion ones are my favorite.

HecklnDecalr

We have wrapped a few exterior doors. The life expectancy really depends on how high traffic it is and what type of traffic. We recently wrapped a coffee shops doors (Tim Hortons) with 180 and they were coming up in about a month. There were gouges in the vinyl and a lot of the edges were coming up. I went and had a coffee and watched people walking through the doors. While they had their hands full they were opening the doors with their feet and hips which was rubbing the vinyl from the edge. They also had keys and whatnot in their hands and would scrape and gouge the vinyl. If it is a high traffic area I wouldn't recommend wrapping the doors at all.

OPENSignsInc.

We have wrapped a few exterior doors. The life expectancy really depends on how high traffic it is and what type of traffic. We recently wrapped a coffee shops doors (Tim Hortons) with 180 and they were coming up in about a month. There were gouges in the vinyl and a lot of the edges were coming up. I went and had a coffee and watched people walking through the doors. While they had their hands full they were opening the doors with their feet and hips which was rubbing the vinyl from the edge. They also had keys and whatnot in their hands and would scrape and gouge the vinyl. If it is a high traffic area I wouldn't recommend wrapping the doors at all.
If it's going to be a high traffic area, you can always put paint protection film over top of the laminated vinyl in key areas or cover the whole thing. Cleaning the doors very well and using an adhesion promoter (like 3M primer 94 - for 3M vinyls only) and then an edge sealer pen will also help with edges lifting.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I would like some advice on interior doors. As it turns out, you need a separate designer to do that, ridiculous. I used to think that you get a house that needs finishing, you hire a designer, and he takes care of everything, starting with the walls and ending with furniture. As it turns out, it's not that simple. There is a separate designer for every part of the apartment. So basically, you overpay for someone who will mix expensive furniture in a render and make it look good. Long story short, I bought the interior doors from doordesignlab.com.
What's the advice you're looking for?

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I would not wrap the vinyl around the sides/edges of the door. I would trim at the edges of the door, or maybe even slightly inside the edges, about 1/4". A little bit of 3M adhesive promoter/primer at the perimeter couldn't hurt.

Precision

Ez pz, your overthinking it, unless your trying to wrap the jams? Clean well, do a vinyl test ( although most all should stick, depending on if is painted or not). If your really worried, run a small brush stroke of primer around the edges. Wrap it, trim to the door edge, using an inside edge as your guide. Done.

Good luck!