Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrapping an exterior door

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Marie, Feb 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Marie

Marie Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Our customer wants their exterior metal door wrapped. We would use 3M180C and 8519 lam. Their maintenance dept will remove the handle hardware. My concern is how well will the edges will stay down as the door is opened and closed over time. Any tips or suggestions? THANKS!

Tags:
  2. peterprintingparty

peterprintingparty New Member

Jun 20, 2019
    New Mexico
    Just did this recently. Although we used IJ39 and 8519. We wrapped around the edges of the door, customer hasn't had any issues and it's been about a month.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OPENSignsInc.

OPENSignsInc. Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Greenville, PA
    Ive done quite a few external metal doors. It will hold up just like a car door would. I would try and wrap the edges around to the seam (where inside and outside panels of the door meet) in the door if possible to help adhesion & finish the look.

Door decals that make the door seem like its not there or optical illusion ones are my favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I cut them to the edge and they hold up fine. Metal doors usually have a hemmed edge on the skins that would have to cut anyways. Taking the handle off is simple too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Signature Graphix

Signature Graphix Wide Format Printing - Signage - Vehicle Wraps

Jan 18, 2020
    Florida Gulf Coast
    I would probably prime the edges, wrap/cut, Post heat, and then use 3m edge seal tape.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. We have wrapped a few exterior doors. The life expectancy really depends on how high traffic it is and what type of traffic. We recently wrapped a coffee shops doors (Tim Hortons) with 180 and they were coming up in about a month. There were gouges in the vinyl and a lot of the edges were coming up. I went and had a coffee and watched people walking through the doors. While they had their hands full they were opening the doors with their feet and hips which was rubbing the vinyl from the edge. They also had keys and whatnot in their hands and would scrape and gouge the vinyl. If it is a high traffic area I wouldn't recommend wrapping the doors at all.

7. OPENSignsInc.

OPENSignsInc. Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Greenville, PA
    If it's going to be a high traffic area, you can always put paint protection film over top of the laminated vinyl in key areas or cover the whole thing. Cleaning the doors very well and using an adhesion promoter (like 3M primer 94 - for 3M vinyls only) and then an edge sealer pen will also help with edges lifting.

8. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Sand them some if adhesion is a concern. Kickplates help too