• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping bad surfaces....

bendeane

Got this box truck to wrap and not sure how to handle the back. My gut says that if he can't get it fixed up more than that, to wrap it but explain why we can't guarantee it like we normally would.

It is very smooth, but where there is no paint concerns me and the bigger bolts are awfully rusty.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• boxtruckback.jpg
    boxtruckback.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 107

Mosh

It won't stay on that. Been there wraped that! With no paint, moisture will soften the wood and off comes the wrap!

bendeane

Is there any kind of paint we could put on it at our shop that would alleviate him having to take it to a body shop?

CheapVehicleWrap

Is there any kind of paint we could put on it at our shop that would alleviate him having to take it to a body shop?

Trying to save the customer money will ALWAYS cost you money. At best, I see this as a vinyl lettering job. But I must admit, as it looks now it still looks better than allot of wraps.

heyskull

Get the customer to repaint the rear.
You are a signmaker not a painter. Each to his own job.
Don't try to sort it yourself as you will end out of pocket.

You need a smooth non porrous surface or the adhesive will fail.

SC

jfiscus

Rap Master
paint it if you have the facility, it appears you don't since you are asking what kind of paint to use. Call a local painting company & get a quote if you want to provide an option to the customer (possibly see if the painter will get you a broker price and quote it to the customer at a higher price?)

If not, refer them to a local paint shop. Do not wrap it.

Sparky

What about screwing some 0.040 aluminum to it and wrapping that? My be a cheap shortcut worth trying...

W

wetgravy

What about screwing some 0.040 aluminum to it and wrapping that? My be a cheap shortcut worth trying...

No. I wouldn't do it at all, if the wood is exposed the wood will rot around the screws and will in a very short while cause leaking in the truck. Have them repaint, a good shop will probably only charge them a couple hundred for a primer coat (to protect the wood) and a good white coat that you can wrap.

johnnysigns

There's too many variables to say it won't stick well on the whole, but I know I would not honor any warranty longer than how long it takes the film took to cool down after it was installed/post heated.

Designer Wraps

Have them get it sanded better and painted propely then wrap it (no warranty with no guarantees on it not pulling off the paint when the wrap is removed) or tell them again no warranty and no guarantees it will even stick let alone last if u wrap it as is. Either way tell them no warranty on that and get your money up front!!!

Craig Sjoquist

Sand it, Prime it, Paint it, Wrap it what's the big deal you do it with a foam rollers and elbow grease and charge them for it.

zapblam

Have done at least 2 similar to that. Turned out fine. Prime and paint just like a plywood sign. Then when dry apply decal just like a painted plywood sign. Just made very clear to customer that failure was a possibility and was definitely not warantied.