• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping Kicthen/Bath Tile Wall

OADesign

Hi All,

I have a project where I need to wrap the lower portion of a wall in a food court area. It's un-printed (plain white) and hidden behind some furniture and other obstructions.
I was thinking of using Orajet 3551RA with the 290 lam. But does any one know of a vinyl that would work. Maybe with out lam? That won't break the bank.

And just so you know what it is, its like a basic tile wall like a bathroom or kitchen. 5x5 tiles I think. I haven't gotten close enough to see exactly what the grout is like.
And it is indoor by the way.

I'm thinking that and high(er) end wrap vinyl may be overkill (like 3M 380 or 180v3) but maybe someone has a different opinion.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

(and if this is not in the proper forum, feel free to move...)

MikePro

3551RA is for simple curves, so if you're expecting it to conform to the grout lines... it won't. it won't even stick very well on heavily textured surfaces, even when heated/conformed it will pop-right back up over time. it's a calendared vinyl.

if you're cutting out the grout lines, it'll work perfect. textured wall/concrete wrap vinyl will do the trick, otherwise.
....and if it's unprinted, plain white, why are you bothering to laminate?

OADesign

....and if it's unprinted, plain white, why are you bothering to laminate?

Because my installer says... and I agree, that it wont have enough body to install nicely. I have installed unlaminated wrap vinyl and and cried afterwards. Well more like whined a bit. But the point is it was the worst thing I ever did.

MikePro

sweet, no biggie... just thought i'd bring it up, since you also brought-up budget and lamination doubles the cost of your material right off the bat.

3M has some nice stuff, 8624, but pricey. Arlon 6700 has my vote for sure. great stuff. Maybe "laminate" the wrap vinyl with transfer mask, install on the flat surfaces, and remove mask before heating/conforming grout lines? ...just a thought. otherwise, you&your installer should practice some more :)
if you can apply unlaminated/unmasked vinyl with ease, as i can (#nobigdeal), just imagine how much of a treat it becomes when you get to work with laminated prints again!

also, if you can simply span the grout-lines... phototex high tack is awesome stuff, and lasts an amazingly long-time considering how easily removeable it is.

dawg

it is doable.. but i would look around on 3m site.. might be other brands also has..

3m offers the 480 film for brickwalls and other rough surfaces..

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...PWgs_PRQZ6QKC0V_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

flat white is a good idea, due you wont see when it whitering..

actually im new for wrapping.. but one thing i saw from the beginning.. these films are a whole different world from vynil..
on a modern bumper, i dont think any vynil would work, without cutting up small areas..

OADesign

sweet, no biggie... just thought i'd bring it up, since you also brought-up budget and lamination doubles the cost of your material right off the bat.

3M has some nice stuff, 8624, but pricey. Arlon 6700 has my vote for sure. great stuff. Maybe "laminate" the wrap vinyl with transfer mask, install on the flat surfaces, and remove mask before heating/conforming grout lines? ...just a thought. otherwise, you&your installer should practice some more :)
if you can apply unlaminated/unmasked vinyl with ease, as i can (#nobigdeal), just imagine how much of a treat it becomes when you get to work with laminated prints again!

also, if you can simply span the grout-lines... phototex high tack is awesome stuff, and lasts an amazingly long-time considering how easily removeable it is.

No truer words have ever been written. "I" need more practice for sure. The installer guy? Well lets just say he is set in his ways. And his ways have been good to date. And that why he gets paid to keep me off the expert level installs. :smile:

But your tip about premasking... you are the second person to recommend that method. Leaning in that direction.

dawg

just get some film and try on your building.. dont underestimate yourself..
youll see it is simpler than looking..

without mask this film doesnt work.. (in my private opinion) also ask 3m or other brand what they suggest for mask..

stick up on a few point around the primeter, as much as it gets ""smooth"" start on highest points with a felt squeege..

skip first ""valleys""....

when all area locked, then heat up and stick it into "valleys"... then more heating and use soft squeege on deep areas.. some foam doormate works very well.. cutting up for squeege size..

of course the 3m roller is better but that might cost more than this job makes profit..

i think this job perfect to start to learn wrapping..