• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping Over Tolex- Guitar Amp

flyplainsdrifta

Anyone have any experience with this? I am an operator by trade, not an installer by any means. These wraps would be going on my own amps, over the existing tolex. This is something ive had in mind for quite a while and would like to give it a shot on one or two of my practice amps. I have access to a number of materials for this. If anyone has any advice or help that would be awesome. Thanks all!

EDIT: edited for clarity

Last edited:

bannertime

Lots of 3M Super 77 or 90. Can't remember which, it's been about 15 years since I build my last speaker cabinet. I was never able to perfect the seamless wrap, so I always had a seam in the bottom left corner.

flyplainsdrifta

Lots of 3M Super 77 or 90. Can't remember which, it's been about 15 years since I build my last speaker cabinet. I was never able to perfect the seamless wrap, so I always had a seam in the bottom left corner.

ahh okay. i should clarify, i wanted to wrap over the tolex. im sorry for the confusion. trying to post this while running 5 printers haha.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The way most amps get beat up, I'd highly doubt much of anything would stay on for very long.

Years ago, when playing in bands, our amps mostly faced the audience, along with the drums and leslie tone cabinets, so we put a very lightweight painted up piece of canvas on the front, which at the volumes back then would sometimes wave at the crowd. My leslies were just hand-painted with stuff. First band I was in (in the 60s), the bass player had a Kustom amp with 2 18's and some empty donuts just to let air escape..... couldn't do anything to that. Not the way they were built. That tolex stuff is meant to resist a lotta things, from cigarette burns to beer to vomit, so I doubt vinyl'll stick very long.

flyplainsdrifta

The way most amps get beat up, I'd highly doubt much of anything would stay on for very long.

Years ago, when playing in bands, our amps mostly faced the audience, along with the drums and leslie tone cabinets, so we put a very lightweight painted up piece of canvas on the front, which at the volumes back then would sometimes wave at the crowd. My leslies were just hand-painted with stuff. First band I was in (in the 60s), the bass player had a Kustom amp with 2 18's and some empty donuts just to let air escape..... couldn't do anything to that. Not the way they were built. That tolex stuff is meant to resist a lotta things, from cigarette burns to beer to vomit, so I doubt vinyl'll stick very long.

Thanks a ton for the insite Gino. yeah these would be for my practice amps at home. not gonna do it to my deluxe reverb. right now i just want to give it a shot to see if and how it could be done. god what i would give to have a leslie cab in my chain. that would be truly glorious for certain things on guitar.

but anyways, back to the job at hand. im gonna cut a few samples and test it out over the weekend to see what holds and what doesnt. thanks all for the insight and advice, as always! have a good weekend errybody!

sardocs

I think it will work fine. There are stickers and graphics adhered to tolex covered guitar cases all over the planet. They don't just fall off.

d fleming

I had a 4/12 kustom cab tolex removed for my guitar player years ago ( he had beat the snot out of it in and out of his truck) and then had rhino liner sprayed on it. Then I had fabric printed with band logo and replaced fabric in front of speakers. Sucker was bullet proof and the sound got really fat!

flyplainsdrifta

I had a 4/12 kustom cab tolex removed for my guitar player years ago ( he had beat the snot out of it in and out of his truck) and then had rhino liner sprayed on it. Then I had fabric printed with band logo and replaced fabric in front of speakers. Sucker was bullet proof and the sound got really fat!

that is a cool idea. i may look into that for my road amp. thanks for that one!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that makes more sense. Remove that crap and put something good on there. You'll get vinyl to sick to the flat surfaces, but I highly doubt you'll get any corners to stay down on tolex.