• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping Planes & Jets Yes or No?

Scrathcy

Hi Guys
I Have been asked about wrapping a Jet, Scares me no end.. Will the wrap stay on at 350 MPH I assume its only going to take the slightest floor in the wrap and its going through the engine.. YIKES..

Has anyone done this or has any technical knowledge about this?

Similarly what about small planes like a Cessna, I assume that would be ok.. ?

Please chime in if you have any experience with this..

Dan360

There are special vinyls made for aircrafts, 3M won't sell it unless you're certified for aircraft wraps. I think Orafol makes one as well.

I've also been told the aircraft will have to be recertified by the FAA. I know people who have done it but they were never fully comfortable with the project and they said you don't do full wraps on aircraft.

Chriswagner92

Call your local FAA office. My buddy works with aircraft and they can be super nit-picky. You definitely want to avoid any sensors, which there are probably plenty, and have to take into account the weight of the vinyl and laminate. If it adds so much weight, the plane may have to be re-inspected and certified. The only plane we've actually put vinyl on was a single seater experimental which had yet to be certified, so we didn't have too much to worry about.

Whatever you do, make sure you do it right, and cover yourself enough that you can't be held liable if something does happen.

player

Remember many years ago there were unexplained plane crashes that were killing many people? They tracked the failure to the graphics installers using Xacto blades to cut the vinyl on the plane. The cuts were enough to score the aluminum panels of the plane. These score marks would cause the panels to fail down the road and the planes would crash.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Remember many years ago there were unexplained plane crashes that were killing many people? They tracked the failure to the graphics installers using Xacto blades to cut the vinyl on the plane. The cuts were enough to score the aluminum panels of the plane. These score marks would cause the panels to fail down the road and the planes would crash.
You have any links to this? I couldn't find any. I've heard it before but thought it might be an urban legend.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Was approached once about a helicopter so I stopped at my insurance agents office to inquire....
She said run - they ( owners of helicopter) wanted a release of liability and enough coverage to cover replacement if lost . Then the kicker I would have to have enough coverage for the helicopter, any air disaster and cleanup if needed - policy looked great but no one could ever afford the cost -
Ended up sending it to a buddy that paints aircraft and helicopters for a living , made 10% of the job For the referral

pinkiss

my understanding that any type of wrapping would be rare, seeing recently documentary on concord airplaines, pepsi had to spray entire plane, and due to paint on it it had to fly on half its speed due to temps,g force etc.
as pressure temps and everything else constantly changes on aircraft from freezing to insane hot. granted might not be so extreme on something like cesna but anything above to many variables.

Ready

Ready To Go
Here is an article for you on wrapping planes. In the article there is the website for this company. ( www.planevinyl.com ) This is the google search link with more... http://tinyurl.com/wjowk6h

Bob P

Hi Guys
I Have been asked about wrapping a Jet, Scares me no end.. Will the wrap stay on at 350 MPH I assume its only going to take the slightest floor in the wrap and its going through the engine.. YIKES..

Has anyone done this or has any technical knowledge about this?

Similarly what about small planes like a Cessna, I assume that would be ok.. ?

Please chime in if you have any experience with this..

d fleming

I have been doing paint patterns for large aircraft for years. Fed ex, military, even the president of Malawi for a local company here at Cecil Air Field. It used to be a Navy base, we had three here at one time, now we have two. It was also the emergency landing for the shuttle program because of the length of the runway. The only vinyl I have ever cut for them was for the interior areas of plane. Warning labels em exits, etc. All exterior graphics were paint with exception of temporary tail id's for use while plane was being moved between hangars as you cannot have an unmarked plane on tarmac, period. I would avoid putting any kind of vinyl on exterior of any type of aircraft just so I could sleep at night. I'm willing to bet 3m has a program for it but I would stay clear personally.

Scrathcy

Thanks Everyone.. I hear you all. There are a few videos on Youtube of companys wrapping Big Passenger jets, certanily looks easy enough, but yea that insurance will probably be a killer. Discovered 3M will only sell their specialty product for planes to trained and certified by them for aviation..
Thanks for all your ideas, but I have to admit I am tempted to persue the Certification.. I wonder what it costs and how do you get certified if you arnt doing it? Chicken - Egg thing.. Hmm

HecklnDecalr

Hmm, Well I have installed vinyl on 2 planes. They were both prop planes so was never really concerned with the engine. I was however a bit concerned it might come off and jam in the rudders (not sure if that's the correct term lol). I assuming if you can't turn or go up or down you're gonna have a bad day. They were very insistent that I do it, so I just did. Haven't heard from the pilots in regards to any issues. So that's a good thing ....or a really bad thing. ;)

shoresigns

I'd say either go all-in and make aircraft wraps a part of your business, or pass on the job. Doesn't sound worthwhile as a one-off job.

First thing I'd do is talk to my insurance agent to see what they recommend (as others have suggested).

karst41

I have a FAA Mechanics License, and you better keep you hands off airplanes unless you have been trained and certified to do anything. FAA 575XXX
You will need to be working under a FAA Mechanic, as he / she will be signing off
the work.

Now the issue of Exacto Knifes touching an Aircraft make everybody's blood boil
the skin of an Airplane is a T designation for CLAD.
When the aluminum panels are extruded a very very thin layer of pure aluminum
is clad to the exterior surface to prevent erosion of the aluminum.
You can not write on the aluminum with a pencil. even writing very lightly will
cut through the clad. yes it is that thin and fragile.
You use a grease pencil for the markings.

Now back in the old days the problem was air cabin pressure leaking out and blowing off chunks of vinyl and the engine sucking it through. or of it hangs on the blades the blades are now out of balance.

In 1990 the first roll of Aviation vinyl that I bought was a 3m product.
It had a small Pin Hole every square inch. Cost was $2300 24" x 50 yds
The presiding A&P recorded the weights entered into the logs and signed off.

De.signs Nanaimo

I'd say either go all-in and make aircraft wraps a part of your business, or pass on the job. Doesn't sound worthwhile as a one-off job.

First thing I'd do is talk to my insurance agent to see what they recommend (as others have suggested).
I agree, become an expert in a product or service first, then offer it for sale, it keeps profit margins high!