• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping restaurant tables, material recommendation

nolanola

Hello forum.
What material would you reccomend to wrap tables at a restaurant?
Do you have experience with heavy duty overlaminates or vinyls?

Round table.jpg

rectangular tables.jpg

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Hello forum.

View attachment 164289

View attachment 164288
I don't know of any vinyl that can handle that work load.

Maybe you can convince them to temporary displays, or change them out 1/4ly, etc.

If the purpose is to avoid refinishing the tables properly, wrapping them won't do it. You'll still be able to see all the old chipped paint texture through the vinyl.

The tables need to be properly sanded smooth and refinished first.
You could offeer to refinish them, lay a high quality print and resin the tables for them.

Conclusion:
There isn't an EASY way out of this one, but at the same time with the time investment, there is money to be made on these tables IF sold right.

ikarasu

What do you guys charge for wraps?

I'd think wrapping this would cost more than buying a new table... At least we wouldn't touch it for under a few hundred each table.

If it's some super fancy wooden table that has meaning to them.... Yes, you'd.need to sand it down. Then I'd put a graphic on it and epoxy / resin it like the poster above suggests.

I wouldn't recommend any vinyl (even dinoc , which is meant for stuff like this) without some.sort of anti- pick protection on it.

People are assholrs, and if they can lift a corner up, they will. Or it'll get scratched up when someone puts a knife down, or someone tries to carve their name... Or one of a million other ways.

We've done a few wraps that then got a clear polycarb / shatter resistant material glued overtop as well. But something needs to protect it, a thick laminate won't do for long term.

gnubler

Agreed, just spray paint the metal items. I just bought similar stools for my shop from an antique store. A coat of spray paint and they look fine.

I agree that people are just going to destroy any tabletop vinyl just from general use, and children.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd offer to sand them, but wouldn't paint them with anything other than Rustoleum. Alternatively you could just cut some acrylic circles and glue them down with some two part epoxy.
For the original question, Nekoosa sells Eclypse laminates, textured polycarbonate with adhesive. It's pretty stout stuff, but without a way to prevent the picking/lifting/wiping across the edge that comes with the food service industry, it's pointless, or at least waiting to fail...

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You could use a high-tack vinyl w/ some sort of polycarbonate/lexan laminate....makes a pretty damn bulletproof decal for the top anyways. You'd have to trim back from the edge of the table and maybe use a seal-it pen or similar around the edge.

We've used this and it's solid: https://www.thegrs.com/item.asp?id=IP6100&type=1

But as already mentioned, the graphics will probably cost more than new tables. :toasting:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
A premium removable vinyl such as that maybe from a company with 3 m's in its name and a premium textured floor laminate maybe known for its flexibility.

Those tops appear to have been wrapped before and now removed. They were very likely included in at least one well known, branded sales promotion campaign where no one cared about damage because surprisingly more sales far outweigh the negatives. Any “spruce-up” of the premises is just an ancillary benefit. The product is pretty resilient while only meant to last a limited time anyway because it's a particular promotion campaign. The site proprietor often risks very little so far as costs because there are other players in the effort who bear the brunt.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Paints are more resilient than vinyl, and look at the abuse those metal stools and tables get, it just won't hold up very long, and you'd probably be the one they blame. Personally, I wouldn't take the job, but that's just me.

It would be more economical to sand down and spray all the metal stuff with a couple coats of high solids epoxy paint, or non-textured colored bed liner. The wood tables you could put a graphic on, but it would have to be sanded and refinished first to have a smooth sealed surface that vinyl will adhere to, do a graphic that ends just shy of the edge, then, like others have said, pour it with clear epoxy resin, that way the whole thing is sealed. Lots of labor involved...

DL Signs

I volunteer as tribute.

I like working on projects like these, but most of the shops around me won't touch 'em.
I like projects like this too, but bars & restaurants run on shoestring budgets, so getting what you need to keep your doors open is difficult, they just don't have it. There's a reason they want them wrapped, I'm sure they're assuming it'll cost less than replacing them. How many hours would you have to charge, and how much in materials to make those stools look good, and last, and make what you need? Is it cheaper than buying new ones? No.

Here's what new stools cost, think you could refinish or wrap them for less? https://www.amazon.com/Furniwell-Ba...677771033&sprefix=metal+stool,aps,120&sr=8-53

If you hunt you could probably find even lower cost, or go to the the supplier and get bulk pricing even less. They could buy new, add a graphic to the top with removable vinyl and a ploycarb lam that can be changed for next to nothing whenever they wanted, have everything they want, and still come out ahead.

The wood tables, a lot would probably take that part, epoxy resin over a graphic can be profitable.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I don't see a problem with wrapping these tables. For restaurants who want a busy print, there's really no reason to refinish the tables. Many people sit at a table for about an hour in a restaurant. When the pandemic happened, one of the local restaurants here wrapped the table tops with their menus. No one is really paying attention to whats under the wrap. They are looking at the print.

Now the chairs, they can sand and shoot with paint..but the table tops, i'd wrap with a printed wrap.

(am i missing the intent here?)

DL Signs

I don't see a problem with wrapping these tables. For restaurants who want a busy print, there's really no reason to refinish the tables. Many people sit at a table for about an hour in a restaurant. When the pandemic happened, one of the local restaurants here wrapped the table tops with their menus. No one is really paying attention to whats under the wrap. They are looking at the print.

Now the chairs, they can sand and shoot with paint..but the table tops, i'd wrap with a printed wrap.

(am i missing the intent here?)
The tables are one thing... Those stools are only $25 each, and I didn't even take the time to look for the lowest cost... With labor and materials they're cheaper to buy new than refinish.

Attachments

• 1677774022986.png
    1677774022986.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 99

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The tables are one thing... Those stools are only $25 each, and I didn't even take the time to look for the lowest cost... With labor and materials they're cheaper to buy new than refinish.
Did I miss the part where the OP asked about wrapping those metal stools?