• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping the blades on a swamp cooler..?

NP_18

Companies are looking to advertise on just about everything now-a-days.. I have a customer that is wanting to put a logo on the front of their large swamp coolers, like covering the entire front where the air flows with a logo. I mulled over mesh banner or even a sheet of aluminum that has been perforated, but neither of those options seem like they would A) hold up well, or B) not restrict airflow significantly. Then I thought about wrapping the blades so that while spinning you can see the logo.. Would a wrap hold up? Is there a program or way to calculate the warp needed on the graphic based on fan speeds so that its legible while spinning? Has anyone ever attempted something like this before?

Attachments

• Swamp Cooler.jpg
    Swamp Cooler.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 321

bannertime

Adding the weight of vinyl and laminate to the blade could cause issues. Would not recommend without first talking with their engineer. Years ago we worked with some portacool guys, but we only did lettering on the sides of the cabinets. These days, I'd probably see about direct printing to the metal mesh or maybe even screen printing/stencil painting it.

letterman7

Think about what you just wrote. "wrapping the blades so that while spinning you can see the logo". Try that on your desk fan and see if you can see anything at all other than a blur of color. Tell your customer that without restricting airflow it's not going to work. Wrap the lower panel or the sides.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I can't imagine being able to see the Logo while it's spinning, unless it's the Time Tunnel Logo!
What about a piece of screen, say the puppy proof type that could be silk screened or printed on, and add a fancy frame for mounting on to the face of different size fans.

NP_18

Think about what you just wrote. "wrapping the blades so that while spinning you can see the logo". Try that on your desk fan and see if you can see anything at all other than a blur of color. Tell your customer that without restricting airflow it's not going to work. Wrap the lower panel or the sides.

This is what I envisioned when I was talking about wrapping the blades. Take the normal logo and twist it to a certain degree so that when the blades spin the image twist back so it looks normal. Similar to wording and arrows painted on roads. They aren't normal looking unless you are driving at speed.. The idea spurred from seeing those bicycle led lights that you can program to be any design or image you want. When the bicycle is not in motion its just a light bar, but when the wheels get to spinning you can see the image.

Attachments

• Fan Rendering-01.jpg
    Fan Rendering-01.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 261

NP_18

Adding the weight of vinyl and laminate to the blade could cause issues. Would not recommend without first talking with their engineer. Years ago we worked with some portacool guys, but we only did lettering on the sides of the cabinets. These days, I'd probably see about direct printing to the metal mesh or maybe even screen printing/stencil painting it.

I didn't think there would be enough surface area on the exterior screen to print or paint and the image be recognizable. Openings are about 1" x 2" and wire cross section maybe 1/6" thick.

MikePro

those things blow, right?
my first thought was mesh banner, but it might obstruct the airflow a bit. Just shootin' from the hip here.
Or maybe instead of trying to cover the front of it, you could add mounts for a flag-banner or a wind cone/cube to utilize the airflow to flutter out. Ooooo maybe even a skydancer holding on for dear life!!!

although, don't those things usually point parallel to the stage/sidelines? you'd think that a logo would be better suited on the side where cameras/crowd may see it more? in that case, dibond panels or box to match what appears to be mounting holes already fab'd into those units.