• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrong cuts wasting tons of money!!

NCSignTech

ENVIRONMENTAL MATCH calibrates your print and cut. During the cutting process, the printer uses the encoder in it's scan motor. During the printing process, the printer uses the linear scale and encoder board in the print carriage. The linear scale expands and contracts with temperature differential just like your media. If this calibration is not performed you will be off in the scan direction. Function is required on SP's, is automatic on VP's if feature is enabled. Enable it if not already!

BLADE OFFSET for Roland 45deg blade is .25mm and 60deg is .5mm. (you indicated 0) Check your test cut quality. Excessive force will also cause cutting issues. Change to 60deg blade - you should be able to back cutting force back to 60 or 70 grams depending on media and age of blade. Excessive pressure will allow the cutting tool holder to shift in the feed direction.

CENTER ON MEDIA / GET MEDIA WIDTH can't be used together with crop-cut. Roland is aware!

CROP-CUT adjustment needs to be performed. User mode with VP, service mode with SP's Print-cut does not correct this.

CARRIAGE WIRE TENSION may also need adjustment is SP's or backlash in scan motor gears. VP's use belt drive.

A good tech should be able to perform all checks and adjustment in an hour.

Last edited:

cptcorn

adad
If the marks are being read properly for the contour cut pass, it shouldn't matter how the print might be distorted. As long as that distortion is linear. The purpose of the registration marks is not merely to find a starting point. The larger purpose for the marks, and why you should always use four of them, is to allow the software to map its logical region onto the actual physical region on the media.

If the error is progressive as the job proceeds away from the origin you have some sort of slippage/traction problem. If the error is constant over the entire cut, then the distance from the sensor to the cutter is not properly set.

I would think this very same thing, but I don't think every program has this built in to adjust. I did a quick comparison, one print/cut strictly through Onyx 6.5 and one, rip through onyx, cut through FineCut. Same print length and same cuts. Onyx did a far worse job then FineCut which made we question weather or not Onyx 6.5 (at the time) even took those measurements into consideration. Since I don't know the very specifics of his job, i left my comment extremely vague.

AlexT

Use all the pinch rollers, slipping is often the problem (specially with larger sheets) if you are not using enough pinch rollers. Also don't use the "center on media" option.

B Snyder

I've never used more than 2 pinch rollers. I know my machine came with extra rollers but after 2 years I couldn't tell you where they are.

TSdesigns.NET

I would try slowing the cutting speed down. When I cut convex with my
Sp 300 I have the same problems if I try to cut it too fast.If its getting less accurate towards the end of the sheet you are trying to cut chances are its slipping.