• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X-Acto blade tip

96XP

This is a tip about the tip and not a dollar matter.

For those whom enjoy the precision, and use the standard X-Acto blades on a regular basis, you may have experienced the rough feel and loss of accuracy when addressing sharp detailed turns after that awesome little point breaks off. :doh:

I too have been frustrated on many occasions and had to pause from what I was doing in order to reload with a fresh one.

However, there is a simple modification before starting with a new blade which will not affect the accuracy or cause any grief, and, will in fact give more stability and increase it's lifespan with reliability.

Less an image to post, please bare with me through the following description:

Take a new blade (installed into handle) and have ready one of those small very fine stones which might be used for sharpening fish hooks.
(wet or oil it before use)

Flip the tool handle upside down (with blade installed) so that the cutting edge is facing upward.

Now take a few slightly angled swipes across the back edge 'tip' of the blade against the stone.
This is done in a straight 'in-line' direction, (same as if you were cutting with it, and almost that same angle).
Your done.

Looking closely afterwards, the blade will look a little different on the back side (top dull side of point) and the procedure hasn't touched nor affected the sharpness at all.
What it has done is to slightly reduce the length of that tiny brittle/vulnerable point to a thickness which will have more endurance.

Cheers.

robr

blades

Try excel blades fellers sells them. Best blades i ever used, Can do a whole van wrap with 2 blades.

Jillbeans

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll have to try it.
I have had a few bad experiences with X-Actos over the years.
:)
Love....Jill

Bill Modzel

I've been using these blades since the 70's, cutting amberlith for my screen films. With the "following" style of the point, I'd think that they'd be a natural for you brush slingers.
The point is much more durable than those thin X-actos and they are easily sharpened if your so inclined.

Havel's has great prices on them too.
http://www.havalon.com/hobby-exacto-style-blade-ac113.html

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 142

tsgstl

I use snap off blades for everything but weeding. I get the 100 pack exacto blades so they aren't a huge expense. I have had employees purposely bend the tip for easy picking.

I honestly have a little bit of a snap off blade obsession. If I see one that I don't have I have to buy it. Most of them come with 2 or 3 blades in the package so it is almost as cheap as buying replacement blades.