• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X-acto unscrewing

legacyborn

Am I the only one who has issues with their X-acto knives unscrewing constantly? It's really a pain in the butt. I was thinking about using some lock-tite but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions first.

Thanks!

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
loc-tite?

well, i wonder how much pressure you are putting in these!
if you are left-handed, i can only imagine!

i find the older ones do this more than the new ones. i guess they wear out eventually...

-mosher

Z SIGNS

Good tip about the teflon

My first thought was it's a $4.00 tool bury it

but then I remembered reading something about
Mind your pennies and the dollars will follow

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Made in China...loose tolerances to keep costs low.

Put a small o-ring in between the handle and the collet.

JB

Salmoneye

I pull the knurled portion away from the handle portion and crank it down like a mo-fo; If I rely on just twisting the handle it seems like the collet doesn't get seated properly.

OldPaint

and this....is really buggin you??????????? does anal retentive.....belong in your repertoire of psychological dysfunctionality ??????????hahahahahahahahahaha

OldPaint

i guess iam so well trained.........with mechanical stuff........that when i pick up a X-ACTO i automatically check it for tightness!!!! sorta like when i pick up my jig saw, circular saw, recip saw, chain saw, dremel, or any other piece of equipment.......I CHECK IT..... before i use it................

legacyborn

I check the tightness too,but it comes loose and the blade shifts when I'm trying to cut straight lines. Then they aren't so straight. I have a buddy who is very into papercraft and he recommended a couple of snap blades that I ordered. Also going to try the Teflon tape and O ring ideas.

Thanks everyone!

-
Logan

Christian @ 2CT Media

I check the tightness too,but it comes loose and the blade shifts when I'm trying to cut straight lines. Then they aren't so straight. I have a buddy who is very into papercraft and he recommended a couple of snap blades that I ordered. Also going to try the Teflon tape and O ring ideas.

Thanks everyone!

-
Logan

Here is an awesome XACTO like snap blade: http://www.amazon.com/NT-Auto-Lock-...UTF8&qid=1401466479&sr=8-1&keywords=nt+cutter
its exactly the same as Olfas Art Knife but you can flip the holder around and you standard blades too.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I like these better because they tighten at the opposite end.

By far, my favorite is the soft rubber coated Fiskars knife, shown in second photo. It tightens at the opposite end also and never comes loose.

JB

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Fiskars-Softgrip-Craft-Knife.jpg
    Fiskars-Softgrip-Craft-Knife.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 255

OldPaint

Thanks everyone!

-
Logan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA... thats sorta like a pinstriper blaming his ............brush....cause he cant pull a straight line))))))hehehehehehehe

Eric H

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA... thats sorta like a pinstriper blaming his ............brush....cause he cant pull a straight line))))))hehehehehehehe
Not sure why everything is so funny today.There's a big difference in not being able to use a tool and a tool not working properly. It would be more like the hair falling out of the brush. I guess you would crack yourself up about that too with an unhelpful comment.

Stanton

Yep, I have a full array of striping swords. Several hundred $$$ worth.
The talent is never in the tool.
Don't ever blame your tools.

If your blade is coming unscrewed, you are over torquing it.
The material and wrist action, not the tool.

What are you trying to cut ?

Ease up and be at one with the art.

Do it right, it will give.

mpn

Yep, I have a full array of striping swords. Several hundred $$$ worth.
The talent is never in the tool.
Don't ever blame your tools.

If your blade is coming unscrewed, you are over torquing it.
The material and wrist action, not the tool.

What are you trying to cut ?

Ease up and be at one with the art.

Do it right, it will give.

Not so. The new standard knives ( the one that tighten up front ) are garbage. We have plenty of older knives that have been used for years & years without issue, but the newer ones are sloppy knockoffs.

OldPaint

Not sure why everything is so funny today.There's a big difference in not being able to use a tool and a tool not working properly. It would be more like the hair falling out of the brush. I guess you would crack yourself up about that too with an unhelpful comment.
and then you AX THIS QUESTION??? its FUNNY.....EVEN MORE SO NOW.....
ya know if ya take everything in life SERIOUSLY.....it can kill ya)))))hehehehehehehehehehe
as for hair falling outa brushes......
YEA IT HAPPENS all the time BUT.....its not problem, that #8 QUILL, with the hair falling out of it.....NOW BECOMES A #6 QUILL)))))when more hair falls out it becomes a #4.......hahahahahahaahaha