Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy X-Acto Z-Series No. 11 Blade and listening

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Robert Armerding, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Robert Armerding

Robert Armerding Merchant Member

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Have you ever used an X-Acto Z-Series No. 11 Blade
    They are 7 to 10 times sharper than the common #11 blade. And, they are much stronger.
    If you ever used one, you immediately noticed the difference. It is amazing. You instantly know you have something very special working for you.
    Stay with me here. Improved listening skills will keep you sharper and stronger. You will notice a difference from day one and so will everyone who talks with you. Sharp listening skills are still available. In fact, I have some to give you as a gift. No charge. No strings attached.
    Back to the farm. The very first second into a new conversation is by far the key factor. And that first second is where most get off on the wrong foot. What is so important about that first second. Here it is. You have to totally clear your mind in order to give 100% of your attention. Otherwise you are not giving your full attention. Almost every sign maker I have talked to, one on one, has acknowledged that this is a serious matter. I have no doubt I can help you improve your listening skills. Mind you, life long habits are not easy to change. Let’s aim for 1% at a time.

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. How does the Z series compare to the X-Life?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  3. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    There is a big difference. Let's start with price. Amazon = The X-Life, 100 pack, $19.86
    Compare, the Z-Series, 2 packs of five blades each, $12.95
    That is two cents apiece compared to $1.29 each.
    Is it worth it? Personal choice. For me, yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. It has been a long time since I learned anything on this forum, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  5. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    You are welcome.

6. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Okay, but I've turned all my x-acto handles into weeding picks and only use Olfa XA-1s with the Ultra-Sharp black blades; unless I'm working on glass I'll use the silver ones. I was a fan of the SVR-2s but I left one in the sun and it burned my hand when I picked it back up on a job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I enjoy the SVR-2s for certain tasks, they crease cardboard very well with the blade retracted.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I prefer the NT cutter Red dot. Slips over my pocket more easily, and I can find the snapper easily when I drop it. Cover it in some mirror gold for an exclusive look.
    Blades don't matter as much, as long as they are 30 degrees, I've tried all sorts, currently swap between olfa and nt cutter spares depending on what is closer. I hate overly sharp or hard blades, they tend to wear unpredictably anyways (and scratch glass) but with a fresh breakaway I can cut laminate off a print or just through the layer of backing without scoring vinyl.
    [​IMG]
    I tried this ProKnife and it's probably the worst knife I've ever used. Ink comes off the blade and the holder with just a bit of alcohol. The snap blades are a godforsaken struggle to snap. The "base" of the blade is wider due to the unnecessary layer of red paint, so trimming edges flush required a higher angle which causes more potential for dig in.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I buy my x-acto style #11 blades (172) from havel's 100 in a box, non sterile carbon steel. But I prefer the #15 (113-4) but I don't see them listed anymore.
    But I'm listening will try the Z series next time. Never liked snap off blades, I do like my FatMax Stanley utility cutter.

10. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Listen, just because your head comes to a point does not make you sharp. Stay with me here, are you listening?
    You see how we respond on here, you metioned #11 x-acto blades and we all went off talking about our favorite blades, we did not know we were getting a life lesson.

11. True as this may be, it does not mean that he doesn't have a point.

12. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Says the sharpest knives in the drawer.

13. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Hey, listen up, there's a test on this stuff tomorrow.

14. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Mentor didn't realize he got the truant study hall at S101.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Hummm, looks like my book "Nifty Tips" will have some competition on here. So much for that retirement nest egg I planned on.. He gives away for free.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
  16. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    C'mon ma-a-a-an.............. give the guy a break. He's only testing the waters. He's gonna have some really interesting threads going quite soon. I can just feel it in my bones....... that is the hammer, anvil, and stirrup bones. I'm still listening.