• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X-Rite i1 with Rasterlink

Ditchmiester

We are trying to match specific PMS colors and wanted to try and calibrate the printer as close as possible. Is this possible with Rasterlink 6 or should I upgrade that printer to run on our caldera?

Correct Color

You can use that device to read patches with just about any software.

However, in Rasterlink itself you cannot make profiles. You have to also buy the profiling module, called "Profile Master." With that, you'd have the hardware you need to learn to make profiles for your Mimaki. However, given that your purpose is to attempt to match a Pantone color, keep in mind that even if you buy the module, learn to make profiles, and make a reasonably good profile...

Rasterlink still won't have a Pantone library.

Caldera does. And while you may need to update your Caldera to run your particular printer, you will not need to update your printer to be driven by Caldera. I am a Caldera dealer. I can help with this if needed.

Just note that there's a learning curve involved. And I'd note three things: First is that any time you devote to learning to make printer profiles is time you won't be devoting to running your business.

Second is that unfortunately, a bad ICC profile is still a valid ICC profile. And it will drive your printer. I test each profile I make four ways before I install and use it, and I've seen tons of sub-standard profiles over the years that have been the actual cause of many issues that were being blamed on other factors.

And lastly: There is a steep learning curve involved in learning how to make really first rate profiles, and then to setting up a correct color workflow. Having a i1 doesn't make someone a color management expert any more than having paint brushes makes someone Picasso.