• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X3, crash and file loss

letterman7

Up to my eyeballs with this damn program. Was working on a fairly complex file tonight and asked it to do outline a photo and the program crashes. No problem, it's done that before, except this time when I re-open the file there is nothing there. I check the autobackup, and that, too, is empty. Or is it? This file size still says something on the order of 8mb, so something is there - but I can't open it (blank page or it simply won't open the page) nor import it into a new document. WTF? If there is something in the document, how come I can't open it? Anyone dealt with this particular issue?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you can get the back up file to open to a blank page try doing a Ctrl A to select all and see if anything shows on the lower status bar.
If it shows anything try copying to the clipboard and pasting it into a new empty file.

This one looks interesting:

>>>
All,

We found a file called '@@@.cdr.temp' with the same size of the file I was working with. We renamed the file, took out the @'s and I opened a bottle of champagne when all pages came back.

>>>>

Some more ideas here:
http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/t/26577.aspx

good luck

wayne k
guam usa

letterman7

Yeah, I think I'm screwed. Tried your suggestion, tried several that was on the Corel forum and even downloaded the 'CorelFix' demo and all came up saying there was no recoverable data. Perfect way to start off a week...

OldPaint

open your corel.........under HELP open ABOUT........and see VERSION.... should read 13.0.0.739
if it aint this........there is your problem. if its a cracked version.....you cant get the update))))))))))))

letterman7

:banghead: See.. that's the kind of day I had. It's X5, not X3, version 15.2.0.695. Not sure if that makes a difference, O.P.?

OldPaint

well YOU SAID X3... i didnt.....if you run into a guy named chuck whitty(from were you are)tell him i said hi....i was in the air force with him....hehehehehe

graphicwarning

If it's Corel X5... make a copy of the CDR file, and change the extension to .ZIP... then you can open the file and grab the "riffData.cdr" (if I remember the filename correctly) out of the zip. If the file is recoverable, there should be something in the CDR file.

Just because the file is corrupt, doesn't always mean you can't get the data back. Since X4 I believe, CDR files are nothing more than ZIP files stuffed with all kinds of file info. A lot of times you can change the extension and grab the .CDR file contained inside... while the remainder of the data is bad.

Not a guarantee, but worth a try if you haven't tried this already...

letterman7

:Big Laugh Yeah, sorry about that OP. Definitely one of those days. If I run across a Chuck Witty, I'll be sure to mention your name. GW, yeah, I tried that based on the Corel forum suggestion and that didn't work either - came back as an invalid archive. I'm running a system wide deleted file recovery program at the moment (over a million files and counting!) so we'll see what that shows when it finishes...

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Piggybacking onto this thread, I've had some serious system crashes using CorelDRAW X6 on my Win 8 Pro system the last couple of days. I'd be working and then all of a sudden the system would hang completely. Even Ctrl-Alt-Delete didn't work. I'd just have to hold down the power button and hot-boot it again.

I hadn't had any problems like this until sometime the middle of this week. Suspecting the last Windows Update of patches had something to do with this I rolled back to my previous system restore point. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that will solve the problem. If not, I may have to bite the bullet and finally install that Win 8.1 update (which I'm kind of dreading).