• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X5 and DXF Files

WildWestDesigns

I'm just trying to export basic line art from X5 to a DXF file for use in CAD software (not AutoCAD though), however, it keeps telling me to define start/end points. I know that they are defined in the CDR document, so I'm thinking that they are lost in the conversion process.

Is there a DXF format in the drop down box that will retain this information, or am I going to have to go to a 3rd party program (or plugin) to do this?

Christian @ 2CT Media

dxftool is an awesome plug in for corel. The standard dxf format in corel is more of a pain to work with then its worth, but for your issue I have encountered this in the past also and had to be sure that corel showed the start and end points as the same node before saving the file.

WildWestDesigns

I'll have to make sure that it truly is a closed path. That could be my problem.

However, if the DXF export filter is any better in Ai, I could easily use that one. The only reason I'm messing with this file format is that this is the only file extension that the vector programs export to that the machine can read and the design program specific to the machine is soooo "clunky" that it's really starting to make me cuss at it. Up until now, I've just been using designs already done, but I'm having to do a custom one for this upcoming job.

WildWestDesigns

AI is pretty similar in dxf output, but it is less finicky since like most adobe programs it just "fills in the blanks". But DXFTool is only $60 for the standard edition and it works amazingly... they have a free no limit trial so you can use it to get this job done and determine if you like it.

http://www.coreldrawtools.com/standard/index.html

Thanks, I'll give that a shot today and see if that works.

Any advice as to what DXF files seems to be the most universal? Kinda like EPS 3 seems to work for most things that take EPS files.

Christian @ 2CT Media

DXF is pretty open, but line/segment or arc/segment seem to work on most machines we've ever fed dxf's too.

I can email you 2 files that we have used on a router... one is the corel version and the other is the dxftool version to see if either work for you.