• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X5 converting things to CMYK

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I know there were big color management changes in X5 but not much more than that.
Have you tried setting up an empty file set to RGB in the document color management window and then import your X3 file into this layout with the global color management set to convert the incoming file to the local document color settings?
(if that makes any sense).
I'd try it here but my X3 install is not working.

wayne k
guam usa

CES020

I haven't tried that, I'll give it a shot. I can't believe that "off" seems to have been removed from all selections. I hope I'm just missing something simple.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Attachments

• noengine.png
    noengine.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 74

Joe Diaz

Are you sure were using RGB colors in X3 and they didn't just appear to be RGB because you had color management turned off? It will do that. One way to check is to go into X3 turn the color management back on, and see if those colors are actually CMYK. For instance, Pantone colors in X3 are actually CMYK, not RGB.

If so, unfortunately you might have to do what I suggested in post #7 which would essentially change all the colors in that file to RGB colors.

We had a few older files like this, not very many though. All I do is keep X3 installed, then when ever I run into one, I open it in X3, run find an replace (which is actually pretty fast) save it with the colors converted to RGB, then open it back up in X5. This only takes a minute or so max.

You don't have to go through and fix every file you have in one sitting, Just fix them every time you run into one. A lot of our older files haven't been reopened in years, and they may never be reopened, but that's us. If you're accessing all the "10,000" files you own on a regular basis, and all those colors were actually CMYK, you might be screwed, unless there is a quick and easy way to change all your files at once (maybe a custom macro?) or a way to open CMYK colors as RGB in X5, which I don't know how to do.

But I would start by turning you color management back on in X3 and see what you have. Then just try what I suggested in post #7 once. If those don't work, then through process of elimination I would guess your problem is on X5's end. IF they do work, then you have been using CMYK colors all this time, they just appeared to be RGB because you had your color management turned off. I hope that makes sense.

Roto

Sure thing, here you go. I spent the last 1/2 hour trying to find out how to turn color profiles off, but I haven't found it yet.

Try Converting every thing to RGB as per attached.

The trouble is that X5 introduced truly professional Colour Management and the default palette also changes.

If you are still having problems try posting here there are some Heavy Weight Colour Gurus that hang out there one being David Milisock who has written a book on colour management in X5 http://www.graphictechnology.com/foster.html

Roto
http://www.graphictechnology.com/foster.html

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 66

CES020

Thanks guys, I'll have a try at all of your suggestions and report back.

I had a guy in here a few minutes ago that has the same equipment we do, he had the same upgrade path in Corel as well, and he said he doesn't have these issues and has never heard of or seen them. So I think it's something I'm missing.

I'll try those suggestions shortly. I've got a couple jobs to finish up, and then I'll poke around some more.

Thanks-
Steve