• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X5 Node Nightmare

Colin

So in order to bring myself up to date, I get a new computer (Win7), and new CorelDraw X5, and I'm finding that all of the vectors from my old v12 files are broken (not closed) and need to be fixed!!!

Any solution to this?

Joe Diaz

Never heard of that. There is an auto closed curve command, but I'm guessing if all the vector shapes in all your files are having this issue that may be a time consuming fix. Maybe try saving it in a different file format and opening it in the newer Corel?

andy

Are we talking opening native .CDR files or importing vector files created from V12 drawings? Corel tends to chop AI & DXF files into individual lines; if you've exported vectors from V12 and then imported them into X5 you will get chopped up vectors.

Try oberonplace.com.. the product you are looking for is Curveworks. This is a cheap Corel add on with a load of a curve & node tools... I think the FUSE tool will allow you to weld your vectors back together in a couple of clicks. If memory serves there is a free download which cuts out after a couple of weeks.

Colin

These are pure CorelDraw 12 vector files (which were perfect in 12) simply "opened" in X5.

SignManiac

Colin, send me a version 12 file and let me see how it opens on my box using X5. At least we can try and isolate a few possibilities.

JoySigns

If that is what X5 does I'm never upgrading and Corel needs to do a fix for it. Keep us informed on what you find out.

Joe Diaz

If that is what X5 does I'm never upgrading and Corel needs to do a fix for it. Keep us informed on what you find out.

What version of Corel do you have? We upgraded from X3 to X5 without this specific problem. So in Colin's case it is either a conflict between 12 and X5, Or it is some fluke thing or way he created his artwork in 12 and no one can seem to help him figure out what it is. I did quick search on google to see if I could help him out but couldn't find anyone else with this problem. So it may be a rare thing that might not effect you upgrading.

However, anytime you upgrade, things are going to change and you may have to learn something new. It may go smoothly it may not. I have found the longer you wait to upgrade things the harder it is. And sometimes the benefits of upgrading outweighs the hiccups along the way. For example: the color management in X5 is reason enough to upgrade IMO.

jemmyell

Hi,

When you upgrade CorelDRAW you should always keep your previous versions installed. I am running V12, X3, X4, and X5 on the same system with no conflicts.

If you ever have to reinstall I have found it is important to reinstall in version order.

-James

Colin

In my particular case, it is a new X5 disc on a fresh, new Windows 7 (64) computer. I also bought the new Office 2010, and plan on getting the new Adobe Design Standard CS5.5

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin did you find out what is going on yet?
I would like to look at one of your files if you have not.
I don't have any v12 files but have checked back as far as v9 and did not run into what you are seeing.

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

Thanks for the replies and offers of help. It's been a busy day and I haven't had much time to dig into it deeper, but I've just found that it was only happening on a few files which also were behaving the same way in 12, I just happened to open a number of them at first.......which is like getting "heads" 26 times in a row, then tails. So I guess it's a false alarm, however, I've discovered a new issue:

All vectors which had colors from the Roland color palette applied in 12 have been turned to black when opened in X5. Has that been heard of by anyone else?

Jim Hill

Interesting problem

I have been using Corel version 12 for a number of year but I also decided to get X-5

I have tried using both programs for certain projects but after a few months of this I find myself using version 12 most of the time.

The reason is for the type of work I am doing it works perfectly and even though I know there are some New Features in X-5 I find I like version 12 better.

Jim

Colin

I think that for most people, learning a new software all by one's self is about as fun as a root canal, whereas if one were to learn it in a class or a team environment where you can all feed off each other with tips, information & knowledge, it's much easier and enjoyable.

I work all alone, so it's all up-hill.