• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 Heater won't turn off. Help!

KT.

Hi, I've just noticed that the heater under the print platen on my XC-540 is permanently ON even when the secondary power is turned off. The machine is printing normally and the pre-heater and post-heater are operating normally. I would be very grateful of any advice please. I have contacted Roland support (in the UK) and they have suggested it may be the Heater Control Board but I'm not sure how to access it?
Thanks,
Kieran.

Joe House

Hey Kieran,

The heater control board is under the front apron. You could have a stuck solenoid on that board.

Good luck and stay safe,
Joe

KT.

Hi Joe,
Got it sorted thankfully, you are correct - it was a faulty Solid State Relay (SSD) on the Heater Control Board which was permanently ON (under the front apron as you described). There are 3 SSD's on the Heater Control Board, I swapped the post-print heater with the print heater cables and the fault moved to the other heater so I was confident that this is where the fault was coming from. I was quoted £300 (approx $370 dollars) for a new board but I decided to do some surgery on it instead and just ordered a replacement Solid State Relay (ref: Sharp s202se2) component from an electronics store online which cost me £17 plus delivery. I removed the faulty SSD from the circuit board with desoldering tool today and soldered in the new one. It works again :). Not sure if this is of any help to anyone but I've uploaded a couple of photos to show the board etc, it's a relatively straightforward fix and a whole lot cheaper too! Thank you for your reply to my original post, it is a great forum and lots to learn from everyone :)
Best regards,
Kieran.

Attachments

• XC-540 faulty SSD.jpg
    XC-540 faulty SSD.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 98
  • XC-540 Heater Control Board with SSD removed.jpg
    XC-540 Heater Control Board with SSD removed.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 96
  • XC-540 Heater Control Board with new SSD fitted and tested.jpg
    XC-540 Heater Control Board with new SSD fitted and tested.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 100