• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 Scan Motor Error

cdiesel

Hello all,
About 60 days ago, we installed a new scan motor in our XC after getting numerous scan motor erros and having the carriages separate. Since then, we've intermittently had the same problem, but it hasn't been bad (maybe three or four times in 60 days). A couple days ago, it started happening a lot again. We've switched to another scan motor, and still same symptoms. Here's what's happening:

The printer starts off fine, but after about two feet, we either get a scan motor error or the carriages separate after the print head assy locks over the caps. After installing a new scan motor, I did the limit initialize and while aging the scan motor, the head gradually works its way farther and farther right until the print head assy locks or it gives the same scan motor error.

There is no stair stepping in the print. The encoder strip and sensor is clean. This leads me to believe the encoder in the scan motor is not communicating correctly with the printer or we have another bad scan motor? I just find it hard to believe that we have three that are all bad. Has anyone else seen this before? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

SE SignSupply

"A little load is put on the motor movement for a long time"

Check for drag in both the print and cut carriages with the power off.

You may also want to remove the scan motor and see if moving the carriages feels different.

My first guess would be a worn out scan motor. Any idea how many hours are on the scan motor? IIRC the scan motor average to failure is 800 hours.

Ryan

SE SignSupply

Reading back I see you have already replaced the scan motor. With the separation I would take a close look at how the print carriage moves on the rail.

cdiesel

Our first motor went out at 2100 hours. The 2nd has 122 hours, and the 3rd is at six.

The carriage seems to move okay to me. I've got a new belt coming too, so I'll do a thorough cleaning when I install that. Hopefully that does it...

InkjetAuction

In my experience the MTBF on these scan motors is much higher than 800hrs.... more like 1200-1500 hrs. (It's listed in the XC-540 manual as a 1500hr duty life). On the high side I've seen them go as high as 2,000 hrs...

First, be sure that the connectors look good and are seated. There is a single cable goes from the scan motor to CN17 on the servo board. Clean and reseat both connectors. (Is the connector damaged on the motor side of the cable?)

Next, there are a couple of mechanical things to check...

Like the previous posted suggested, you should look for drag in the two carriages. Have you used a little 3-in-one oil on the rail. Perhaps you have some buildup in the bearing block. The 3-in-one should help extract some of the gunk (Do not use WD-40!).

Next, I'd look at the gears and belt. Clean the gears and all of the teeth on the belt. Verify belt tension.

Next, I'd look for mechanical slippage of the gears... both at where the scan motor gear meshes with the drive gear.... AND the gear on the scan motor itself. There have been some instances where the gear on the scan motor was slipping on the motor spindle. (Draw a line on the top of the gear, across the gear and through the spindle. See if it slips after a while)

If it doesn't appear to be mechanical, then let's look at it electrically.

What happens when you do a Servo Lock test. Does the position indicator show smooth movement. What about when you lock the position and try to move the Cutter head. Does it return to the exact same position numerically and physically? Can you hear, feel, see a slippage? Report back...

Oh... as you know, there are no junction boards between the scan motor and the servo board... just a single cable assembly. If you're still having issies, I'd think about replacing that cable assembly... cuz the next place to look is the $ervo board.

Sorry for the ramble....

~E

cdiesel

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be working on this some more tomorrow and will let you guys know what we figure out.

the signman

scan motor errors

try and clean bearing assembly and bearing rail,, if a lot of resistance on print carriage especially when not connected to the motor( it should run free) if it is not it could be the linear bearings!!!! cheap to buy at a reputable bearing manufacturer than roland because roland sells them as a unit 3 carriages plus rail,,,, very expensive,, best of luck!!!

cdiesel

Well, we installed a new belt and cleaned the gears up really well. The rail and bearings were already cleaned up last week. It's been running about two hours so far, and has another eight or so hours to go tonight. We'll see if it makes it. I'll let you guys know, thanks for your help!

Yahya69

Roland VS-540

I need to make an adjustment to "system switch", on roland vs-540 from an 8 color to 4 color can you or any can help

geron

Scan motor code error 0010 0010

I am having same scan motor error 0010 0010 and some times 00CC 0040, so I tried the servo lock check and the LCD values changed when move by hand.But it also moved the same way in both lock and free modes.Can any one explain how should I do thise test the correct way and what to look for in solving thise error codes, and one more thing should the two fans one the board arrea and the next one by the power supply stay on all the while because mines just start for about 10 seconds and turn off.

Please help with any information.