• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 Users you're my only hope

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Normally I am the one answering questions but I have one for you XC 540 users. I am working on a customer's machine and this is the first time I have worked on an XC540 but it seems very similar to other Roland models.

The customer is getting scan motor errors. The first thing I did was clean the encoder strip and run the encoder setup. The setup failed, so I changed the encoder sensor, still failed, changed the encoder, still fails. As you may know, when the encoder setup fails, the machine doesn't let you do anything until it completes successfully. So, even though I almost never see a motor go bad, I changed the scan motor, still fails. If I play with the belt tension, the encoder setup still fails but the by different amounts. Before doing any of this, I ran the limit position initialize and it succeeded.

At this point I am leaning towards a worn out drive belt or bad servo board but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks in advance for the help!

GP_Oz

Check the bracket that holds the belt to carriage.
I had one come loose that would give me the same run around you describe.

InstantImpression

Hey There.... So when My machine started getting older, I started getting this error. What has happened is the machine PCB is lookin all over for its Origin. What I had to start doing is pushing the carriage all the way to the left. Bring my Capping station all the way up or all the way down. Then I would start the machine up. Sometimes I would have to do it a couple times before it would stick. I also have had to Adjust the Little switch pusher thing attached to the carriage. I also have put a slight Bias on the switch just on the inside of the right shell. I hope this helps you. It was the only hope I had. I had replaced so many parts that was not necessary.

Thanks again for letting me Help!

Good Luck
Steve

LarryB

I had the same issues you are having and changed the servo board which solved the problems. No more scan motor errors.

Ragnabrok

check the movement of the carriages by hand, see if they have a sticky point somewhere across the scan. It's less common than the servo board, but the linear bearings can jam up and cause scan motor errors.

E Coloney

Scan motor errors

And periodically clean/lubricate the linear bearing. That's the long, shiny rail that the carriage slides back and forth on. I use one of the little sponge cleaning swabs and soak (well not SOAK it to the point of making a mess) it in either 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. Be sure to get into the recessed areas on both the top and bottom of the rail and lightly lube along the front of the rail. I had my machine for YEARS and hadn't done this. Now I do it whenever I do head maintenance cleaning because the carriage slides away from the parked position (to clean there, too).