• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xc-540

chasegraphics

Can I get some real reviews of this machine? I have experience with the CJ-500 and would like to get an updated Roland print/cut machine. One problem that I might have is that I need to put it in my basement of the house. How bad are the fumes and will they effect the children?

B Snyder

I have a VP-540 - the inks are the same. Tough to say about the fumes. Everyone is affected differently. I wouldn't want my daughter hanging around my printer for too long.
If you're an SGIA member you can d/l test results on their site.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that true solvent or mild solvent inks ?? I believe you can order the machine either way.

Regardless.... a basement has next to know ventilation, so even if it's the mild solvent.... you're in Pittsburgh and come winter when everything is locked up pretty tight.... I wouldn't want that thing in my house at all. Fumes will travel though the heating system vents and although the mild solvents aren't bad.... in confined quarters.... nothing is good for you except sex and booze. If you don't have sex, then maybe a TV, but always keep the booze close by.

:beer :munchie: :beer

cdiesel

I'm 100% with Gino. Do not put this printer (or any solvent/eco-sol/mild solvent) printer in your house. Without proper ventilation & filtration you're asking for cancer & other health problems.
There's a great article about solvents in last month's Sign Business mag. I seriously recommend anyone that prints or is considering buying a printer reading it!
That said, the XC-540 is an awesome machine.

SwarfWorks

The XC-540 that I run really doesn't seem to put too much odor in the air when I print small decals and stickers, but gets fairly bad when printing wraps (or after about 5-10' of full width printing).

I just mention this because it is in a room that would be much the size of a basement room with similar ventilation (not much).

After reading that article that cdiesel recommended, it made me think of "eco-solvents" a little different. I'd think of it more like I wouldn't inhale exhaust from a normal car, so why would I think inhaling exhaust from a hybrid is ok? (meaning there is still the "bad stuff" there, but just less of it).

cdiesel

I've always been told (by printer salesmen) that the "eco" stands for "economy" not "ecological".

synergy_jim

we have an xc-540 and this thing is a work horse.

we have decent ventilation, so it isn't very often you can even small the inks let alone be significantly bothered by them.