• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC540 not cutting. Help!!

Desert_Signs

It reads crop marks, and goes to cut, but the tool carriage never moves down. All the connections seem to be good, there are no errors on the machine. Everything seems to functioning normally except for the fact that the carriage doesn't go down. It doesn't even work if I do a test cut.

Thoughts?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It sounds like the signal to cut is either not being created by the servo board, is being prevented from making it to the solenoid or the solenoid is busted. I would put my money on a bad solenoid as I have seen this happen in other Roland cutters way more than a board going bad out of the blue.

If you push down on the solenoid it should pop back up. If it just flops down and doesn't spring back up, you will need to replace the cut carriage. If it does pop back up, it could still be damaged but harder to diagnose.

Desert_Signs

It sounds like the signal to cut is either not being created by the servo board, is being prevented from making it to the solenoid or the solenoid is busted. I would put my money on a bad solenoid as I have seen this happen in other Roland cutters way more than a board going bad out of the blue.

If you push down on the solenoid it should pop back up. If it just flops down and doesn't spring back up, you will need to replace the cut carriage. If it does pop back up, it could still be damaged but harder to diagnose.

It's 'springy' just like it always was. I noticed that the tool carriage cable is looking a little worn. Is it possible for a wire to break in the cable without showing an error code?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually when the carriage cable fails you will start to get errors pertaining to measuring the media. You will either get a measurement of 0.0" or get a pinch roller error. It is possible that a damaged cable could prevent the signal from getting to the cutter without an error code which is what makes it harder to diagnose. You might want to bring a tech in so that you don't have to throw too many parts at it to get it going.

Desert_Signs

Usually when the carriage cable fails you will start to get errors pertaining to measuring the media. You will either get a measurement of 0.0" or get a pinch roller error. It is possible that a damaged cable could prevent the signal from getting to the cutter without an error code which is what makes it harder to diagnose. You might want to bring a tech in so that you don't have to throw too many parts at it to get it going.

I have a call in to a tech right now, just trying to do a little troubleshooting myself where possible.

What a PITA. I have installs on 3 vans tomorrow, vinyl is all printed. Looks like I'll be seeing how well I can hand cut... LOL. At least they're huge block letters

Desert_Signs

FIXED!

Ended up being the cut carriage cable. I had a feeling that's what it was... It had a pretty heavy crease in it and I guess one of the wires was broken internally.