• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC540 with White

jasonx

Anyone running an XC540 with white?

I think we are going to make the move due to the amount of white work we can put through the machine.

I know its more maintenance and more running costs but we accept this.

Any horror stories out there?

The white works great - you need to shake the cartridges (and the printer tells you when to) because the ink's pigment will settle. The White even prints on Black vinyl. Fases even look better with the white ink to fill in.

Dave L.

The White Ink is pretty sick! Very Opaque and.....white. Printing on clear looks really solid when you have the white print a hair before laying down the color. Not for regular sign shops use because the White can cause problems with clogging, but if your going to use it every other day or so, go for it.

jasonx

Thanks guys. Were adding the XC540 with white in addition to our other printer just to be able to do white ink work. We find we knock back a lot of work due to not having this ability and it will cut down on our labor costs for reversed work also which is handy.

Is it true you can't use the take up roll reel due to the white ink?

Our sales rep tells us one thing and the Roland brochure states that you can't.

Using the takeup - due to the fact the printer moves the media forward and back - the takeup cannot "backup" the media to be printed or cut.

jasonx

Using the takeup - due to the fact the printer moves the media forward and back - the takeup cannot "backup" the media to be printed or cut.

I thought you could print white in the same pass eliminating the need for the media to be brought back into the printer?

I won't be using the white for print and cut applications print only.

Last edited:

Jumpshoutmedia

How much speed do you lose? My rep told me it'll cut the speed at least in half, and speed is the reason I bought the XC in the first place.

jasonx

How much speed do you lose? My rep told me it'll cut the speed at least in half, and speed is the reason I bought the XC in the first place.

When your printing with white you loose half speed. But when printing in 4 color without white its the same speed.

We've got an XJ640 so speed isn't the issue its the ability to print white.

Jumpshoutmedia

When your printing with white you loose half speed. But when printing in 4 color without white its the same speed.

We've got an XJ640 so speed isn't the issue its the ability to print white.

Maybe I'm not asking right...

MY machine is set up as CMYK right now, so I have 2 of each color heads.. If I set the machine up to use white ink, I can still run 4 color jobs as normal, but only use the white as needed... right? If I set it up to use white, since there's less heads available for each color, won't I lose overall speed?

jasonx

We've placed our order for the machine. We'll get it in about a month. We just have to finish off our new dedicated print room and finishing room.

jasonx

Maybe I'm not asking right...

MY machine is set up as CMYK right now, so I have 2 of each color heads.. If I set the machine up to use white ink, I can still run 4 color jobs as normal, but only use the white as needed... right? If I set it up to use white, since there's less heads available for each color, won't I lose overall speed?

Are you sure its only 4 color CMYK and not 6 Color CMYLcLm

?

Isn't the XC540 a six head machine like my XJ640?

The XC 540 are 6 OR 4 color. The XC 540 can be a 6 color, 4 color, or 4 color with (2) white - not the XJ models. The XJ models are a 6 color or 4 color only-4 color is (CMYKMC) - you will gain some speed with it set up as a 4 color printer - pretty cool, Heh?
Yes, you can use the take up if you are printing only...I "assumed" you were cutting too. You can print flood white behind color, or print white with the color at the same time...or color/white/color onto clear for "two-way" window graphics (same view front and back). You really need a customer base that will pay for the white option, or print a lot of clear requiring white, otherwise (I believe) the 6 color is your best option and very best prints too. You do not have to print with the white, but you will use the white ink even if you dont print- the cartridges require you to pull them out to shake the ink inside, and use ink in the lines to keep it from settling in the lines (4 lines).

jasonx

The XC 540 are 6 OR 4 color. The XC 540 can be a 6 color, 4 color, or 4 color with (2) white - not the XJ models. The XJ models are a 6 color or 4 color only-4 color is (CMYKMC) - you will gain some speed with it set up as a 4 color printer - pretty cool, Heh?
Yes, you can use the take up if you are printing only...I "assumed" you were cutting too. You can print flood white behind color, or print white with the color at the same time...or color/white/color onto clear for "two-way" window graphics (same view front and back). You really need a customer base that will pay for the white option, or print a lot of clear requiring white, otherwise (I believe) the 6 color is your best option and very best prints too. You do not have to print with the white, but you will use the white ink even if you dont print- the cartridges require you to pull them out to shake the ink inside, and use ink in the lines to keep it from settling in the lines (4 lines).

Your learn something every day. We currently have our XJ640 for our normal work in 6 color mode. We are adding the XC with white for this very reason. All clear applications. I will have a job to run through it every day and if not I will run off our own promotional material. So that won't be a problem.

We've put our order in so will keep any one posted who wants to know.

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me. I haven't heard of anyone who has a 6 colour printer down here running in 4 color mode.

Do you need to flush the lines and do a firmware update on the printer to get 4 color mode?

You want to set up the machine for 4 color, 6 color, or 4 color with (2) white. We have changed a couple machines over (if the ink hasn't been in the lines for more than 6-9 months) Flush the lines VERY good, then fill with white or color. You MUST reset the printer mode, change modes in the menu (if changing to white with a printer, with ink in it, you may need to contact your local dealer for directions how to get the white mode to come up). Not too hard to do, just takes some time, and always try to keep the firmware updated. You'll like the XC540 - it's a GREAT printer, very reliable, and will make your investment pay well.