• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XJ-640 with Summa D140r

Race4Fun82

Hi All I am finally going to pull the trigger and upgrade my SC-500. I'm looking at a XJ-640 and a Summa D140R plotter. These are used (14 months old) I can get the printer for 15000.00 and the plotter for 2200.00 Does any one have any experience with these machines? I did a search but not much came up. I checked the serial # on the printer and it has had no warranty work. The owner says he has had no problems. Is this a decent price? We moved into a new building last year and the print end of the business has really boomed. I hired a wrap designer/ installer and we should be able to get a fair share of that work (only one other co. in town that does wraps) The SC 500 is just to slow. I am planning on keeping it for a back up, banners etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bly

We have an XJ-740 and a D160R.
They are great machines.
The XJ isn't massively quick but pumps out consistently good prints.
The Summa cutter is a workhorse too. We cut through Winplot.

FatCat

Can't say on the Roland, but my D140 has been a tank with only a few minor issues over the past 2 years that I can count on one hand. (software related, not mechanical)
I cut regular vinyl using Winplot and then do contour cuts through Wastach Softrip. Fast, accurate, OPOS is the best there is.

*That's a great price on the Summa, I think MSRP is $4995.

BALLPARK

Roland's are solid machines. It's not a bad deal, but I think you could do better on the price of the units. I would try not to pay more than 12k-13k for a used Roland XJ-640.

If you have not decided all the way... I would suggest to look into an XC-540 printer/cutter. You can pick them up right now ranging from about 12k - 17k. Excellent machines, easy to maintain, great print speeds, take up reel, blower/dryer, beautiful prints.

I remember seeing an XJ-640 on the market for 10k that was in really good shape a few months ago. Either way you should be happy with either an XJ-640 or XC-540.

I hope to pick up another XC-540 next year. I plan to use them for about 2 more years then start buying good used XR-640's or XF-640's. The XC-540 will last for many more years, I just want to pick up the newer units once the price drops from sign companies moving them so I can get the new inks.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
We have two Roland XC-540 for sale. Looking for $13,500 pick up from Orange County, CA or we can crate it for a fee. It was a trade in unit. We changed out six Roland Cap Tops, 12 aftermarket dampers, flushed lines and nozzle check is good. Nothing wrong with it.

Call 949-209-7306 for more information.

Francis

Race4Fun82

Thanks

We got the XJ 640 with the summa cutter. This printer is awesome! The quality of the prints is unreal and the speed compared to what we are used to is great. Thanks for the input.