• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XP Install question

David Wright

I have an original cd and retail box version of xp and don't have the computer it was installed on anymore. Computer was discarded, so can I install the OS on another computer without any problem from Microsoft?

Replicator

Worst case scenerio . . .

The install might require you to phone Microlimp to verify that you belong to the software,

Had that happen once about 3 years ago on a computer.

coyote

Question about XP: If I have to buy a new computer that has Vista, can I use my restore CDs from my XP computer to load XP on the new one, or would I need the XP originals as in David's case?
sorry, computers are not my area....Carol

signage

No you can not use your other restore CD's. Also most of the new computers hardware have the drivers for Vista, sometime you can find ones that will work but not always.

digitalgraffiti

If the software package you have came with the computer, then no you are not allowed to use it on another machine. If the computer had the operating system installed on it when you bought the machine (even if the disks are included) than it is considered on OEM licensing which mean it can only be installed on that machine and no other machines. If you bought the software box from Best Buy or wherever, you can install it on another machine. OEM licensing gets pretty tricky when trying to use on a different machine.

Carol: Brian is right. You can not use the XP restore CDs on a new Vista machine or even another XP machine. Most likely it will not even allow you to install it on another machine, but it definitly a violation of licensing. There are still computer companies producing machine with XP on them and you would be better going that route than than trying to remove vista and installing XP mainly because of the driver issues and some hardware on the new machine may not have drivers available for XP.

John M

To answer the OP: Retail box versions typically allow a couple of installations using the same key so you should be ok.

OEM versions, both those from "big box" companies like HP or Dell and those from small companies like mine, are good for one installation only.

We've had pretty good luck converting Vista machines "down" to XP for owners that request it. It can be tricky finding drivers.

David Wright

I installed it yesterday and then went to update to sp2 and all the updates. Microsoft's site needed to validate windows which I let it and then proceeded with the full install.
I suppose that is it unless there is another check sometime in the future. If so I would contact a person at Microsoft to complete.

I assuming that that was it though. Thanks for the input.