• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XP?

Ditchmiester

Is it still possible to purchase copies of windows XP for a clean install? I need a good computer to run my Onyx 10.2 with my colorspan 72UVR which needs VideoNet and that will only work on XP. I have tried googling it but I can't find anything that looks legit.

Thanks.

Dice

Win7 Pro can run a program in XP mode. Just right click on the Shortcut where ever it is, goto->Properties->Compatibility. Select Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Bly

My old Xerox laser printer won't work in 7 so we run it in an XP Virtual PC.

Ditchmiester

Yeah I'm afraid if I try to get the windows 7 pro and run it in xp mode it won't work because it's the protocol (videonet) that isn't supported in windows 7. Thanks for the link to windows xp. I can't believe it's still that expensive.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Find your local gov't surplus sales center. Ours always has hundreds upon hundred of old Pentium 4 desktops with OEM XP keys still on them. You do not get the disc of course and the license is technically tied to the computer but you can always argue that all the parts of the new computer was an upgrade. Point being you can buy those old desktops all day for about $20 each...

round man

the key problem most folks encounter here is if the os(win 7 in this case) is 32 bit or 64 bit,...if the os is 32 bit things usually go fine but once you jump up to 64 bit and the problems arise from older 32 bit software wanting to address 64 bit hardware with 32 bit code addresses

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
If you have an old computer that has WinXP Pro (or know someone who has) that is not being used anymore, then just do a fresh install using any WinXP Pro disk on your new computer and use the serial no from the old computer. Completely legal to do so.

Microsoft likes to imply that each license of Windows sold is valid only for the computer it was sold with. That is simply not true. Recycle your Win OS!

Ditchmiester

I've tried running it on Windows 7 32bit because HP had told me that the VideoNet Driver for Vista 32 bit version would also work for windows 7 32 bit but I cannot get the printer and computer to "talk" so I'm down to trying an old XP machine even though it is pretty slow. but if need be I will build a computer and find a copy of XP to put onto it.

Ditchmiester

I think that's what it might come down to. I'm going to price out some mid range computer parts and a copy of xp from newegg tonight and see what the cost of building one would be. SignBurst can you PM me a quote for an xp machine. Something with an i3 processor in it and maybe 8 gig ram. Thanks.

round man

32 bit os will not address the ram addresses for anything more than 4gb of ram old goat is right,..... no need to say more, the math is so complex it is boring, finite, and just simply will not work