• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XR-640 ink dumping or draining into waste bottle. HELP

SignShopDave

This has happened a few time over the last year. Everything in the capping station has been replaced, cap tops, station, motor, springs, I may be forgetting things also. I was getting the 0104 error a lot. I had everything replaced and it worked for a few months now it just random dumps the ink until all cartridges are empty.

I was told that the cap tops need replaced along with all new inks, total is about $1800. Is there a video or tutorial on how to replace the cap tops yourself? I watched them do it the last time and it doesn't seem hard at all and I am very maniacally inclined. I would just like a guideline so I do not forget anything and so I can get into the menu where you can do the (I cant remember the exact name) "wear in" where the head moves up and down simulating the use of the machine.

Is there a service manual available anywhere?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

C5 Service&Repair

new cap tops isnt going to stop the machine from dumping the inks. is all the ink going into the waste bottle or are they dumping onto the floor or into the printer?

SignShopDave

All the inks are siphoned out into the thank and the tank overflows on the floor. The printer gives no warning before this happens just the 123456789 error when they are all empty. It will also dump them fast new cartridges will dump in about 2 hrs.

I found a maintenance kit online that has the cap tops and dampeners for $135 is that a good deal and how hard are they to replace?

Tatonka

All the inks are siphoned out into the thank and the tank overflows on the floor. The printer gives no warning before this happens just the 123456789 error when they are all empty. It will also dump them fast new cartridges will dump in about 2 hrs.

I found a maintenance kit online that has the cap tops and dampeners for $135 is that a good deal and how hard are they to replace?

Cap tops are super easy, they're just held in by the retaining clips that pop right off from the front. Dampers can be a bit more tricky, as you can break the stems on the heads off if you're not super careful.

GTSTech_1

I would adjust the capping station height, take that pipette tool and lower the station. My guess is the caps are too high and making contact with the printhead surface which is causing a wicking effect and allowing ink to flow thru head when is capped.

Just my .02

SignShopDave

here is the full story on this machine if anyone would like to help.

I have a Xr-640, I bought it used and repaired by a certified tech a year ago. I got the 0104 error a bunch about this time last year. Everything was replaced, capping station, cap tops, springs, sensor, motor, everything Roland suggests in the service manual and calling them directly. The problem was intermediate for a few months with the 0104 and the ink draining into the waste bottle. Eventually it went away.

It ran fine for about 7 months.

I started getting the 0104 error again about 2 months ago with the ink drain problem. The same problems I had last year at purchase.

We replaced the cap tops, motor, made adjustments etc. the problem is this. When doing the ageing process on the motor in the I.S. menu making the machine cap and uncap for 2 min. it runs fine (doing that multiple times in a row) it NEVER errors there. Everything is set, adjusted looks good sounds good etc. but when the machine starts up and it tries to uncap it makes a loud Brrrrrrttt noise, sounds like it is binding and I get the 0104 error and eventually if left alone it will drain the inks.

To me it is almost like the head is trying to pull away before it is uncapped. I am not sure if there is a way of testing this etc.

The tech was here for 5 hours yesterday working and adjusting everything. Nothing is binding at all replaced motor again. We printed with it for about an hour and it ran fine and sounded good. We even paused it a bunch in the middle of the print so the head will recap and uncap etc. it ran fine.

This morning I came in and started it up, printed about 5 feet of material and finished fine. It shut its self down I was out of the room for about an hour, when I went back in and turned it on and hit sheet cut I got the 0104 error again. This time I noticed though the machine sounded different when it started or booted whatever you call it when the blowers kick on and it gets ready to work. It sounded deep like it was struggling before the Brrrrrrtttt 0104.

I am thinking it is electrical at this point but would love another opinion.