• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XR-640 users

JoshLoring

Is anyone else running entire rolls overnight? I can't for the LIFE of me load the new takeup system without head strikes on a 150' run.

I've tried pre feeding media and checking for straightness. I can get it perfect but on a long run i get no love. Seriously no luck.

Too much work to not run all of our printers 24/7. God I hate this new takeup. Give me my Xc540 rollers back.

We run full rolls, and had the same issue at first. We were only using the outer pinch rollers because that's how we did it on our 540. We started using all the rollers, and it seemed to fix the issue. Not sure if that helps or not.

JoshLoring

Is that doing ok with wrap media for leaving lines? I always use all rollers for banners.. But vinyl leaves lines.

OADesign

That's interesting Pat,

I have run both an XC-540, and our current work hoarse, an old SC-545 over night with NO issues. I trust tose two systems 99%. The other 1% only goes bad because of (THIS) user's error.

I have been doing research on the XR just to see how the early adopters are doing with it and it's new take up system tech.

OADesign

... it's an amazing printer but the take-up really pisses me off.

LOL. I hear you. Here is a story from my 1% of error. I ran a this one job. On reflective... Only to come back in the AM to find the 2/3 of the roll on the floor in front of the printer in a nice warm sticky pile.
:banghead::frustrated:

rjssigns

In the context of this conversation vinyl will be referred to as a web.

How do you know the cardboard cores you are using are the exact same diameter from one end to the other? Even a slight variation will "stack" as the roll gets bigger and steer the web. Could be as simple as having a custom core machined.

Next thing is tram or tramming:

What is tram or tramming? It is a method using dial indicators, levels and shims to make sure your infeed, process, nip and out feed are level and in perfect alignment. It is sometimes time consuming, but without it you will be p*ssing up a rope.
No amount of pinch wheels, pre-feeding, or other voodoo will make it track straight when your in-feed and take-up rolls are not aligned/level to each other. Period.

I did this type of work for more than 2 decades on a wide range of equipment. Some ran a hundred feet a minute to over three thousand feet per minute. A dial indicator on the end of a tramming rod. A Starret machinists level, shims and time.
I would be very interested to see exactly what the factory does or does not do to ensure flawless tracking.

I'd bet if you invested in the equipment necessary to tram the rolls to "zero zero", your world would become a happy place.

jasonx

XC540 Pinch roller system sucked. Don't know why they didn't use the setup from the XJ640. Used to run that thing 247 on take up and never an issue.

Least the latex machines check if the substrate is loaded straight.