• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xtreme cutting mat is "xtreme" allright...

cajun312

Use banner tape or glue, attach to table, turn table over for the night or weekend. If your table isn't very heavy load it up with vinyl rolls and stuff.

AUTO-FX

thanks, i didnt really want to glue it, but i will do that. silicone adhesive will do the job nicely i believe....

CES020

Don't count on it. I have tried about every possible thing I could think of. I have used banner hem tape along the entire edges and put granite tiles on it over the weekend. Flat as a pancake for about a week. Then the tape started popping. Removed all the tape, found a good glue that will glue different materials together. Glued it around the edges and clamped it all while it dried. Came back, dead flat. Excellent. About 3 weeks later, edges popping up.

I've tried heat, weight, heat and weight, upside down, right side up, hem tape, glue, heat, more heat, even more heat, rolling it up backwards, rolling it up backwards and heating it up.

If you figure it out, let me know. For me, I just stay away from the corners of my table because I can't get them to stay down for anything.

Malkin

In our old shop we had some sort of Non-expanded PVC for the tabletops. I was told that it was also used as pool liner. That stuff was great.

Now we just have those self healing mats, but you have to be more careful because they wear out faster.

AUTO-FX

yes, i could send it back. i could just drop it off at local advantage s.s. branch. guess i should just do that before i try glue, as they may not TAKE it back after that. what a pain in the a**

Sign Works

Have you tried reverse rolling it up tight and putting it out in the sun for several hours? On mine this counteracted the memory it had from being wound up tight and left in the corner of the shop for 6 months before I actually took the time to fit it to the table.

AUTO-FX

nope, just put it outside upside down for the afternoon. memory in the material is overpowering. i also had heated it thoroughly with heat gun and weighted it down while it cooled flat. took the weight off the next morning and it was great - for about an hour as i watched in dismay as it bowed upward again. it'll be either glue or return. i'll sleep on it.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I wouldn't do anything to it. If it didn't lat flat in a couple days have them send a call tag and send it back.

schramm

I have heard that before about Xtreme Cutting mats, I have a Speed Press and I got mine in the dead of winter, it took under 2 hours in my basement to lay flat and it is awesome. Send that turd back and then go to:

http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/1

and buy one that is worth the money.

AUTO-FX

As a courtesy to the company "Xtreme 1"

Spoke with Dave Harris at Xtreme (aka Image 1 Impact) and he immediately stepped up and sent me a replacement mat, and a call tag to return the old one for inspection. Thanks Dave.

thesignguy1986

I screwed mine down on the corners but I also didn't use that brand either. I bought mine from Grimco and it was a 5'x 8' for only like $130 or so and it laid flat right off the bat. Great mat and had it for almost 2 years

hmmm...looking at getting one of those mats in the next week or so...figured 100 bucks was cheaper than the 200 bucks for a sheet of glass the same size 4 x 8. hope this isn't too common a problem with waves/ends coming up!

AUTO-FX

update

The replacement mat they sent me is much better. I gave it a few hours out in the sun, cooled it in place on my layout table with boards on top, and it is fine.
Thanks again to Dave at Xtreme for a no hassle replacement. Also, thanks for everyone's suggested remedies.

Bill Binns

I also had great luck using a "Formica" type laminate on my tables made of particle board. I had 5 4x8's on casters all done the same way that lasted me for more than 10 years. One of the tables I later coated with sandblast mask that lasted me for at least 5 years. When it got all chunked up, I heated it, scraped it off with big putty knives and razor blades and put a fresh layer down. I wouldn't hesitate to use laminate ever again. It's a kick ass surface and it holds masking tape well when you need it.