Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xtreme cutting mat is "xtreme" allright...

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by AUTO-FX, Jun 22, 2010.

1. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Xtremely wavy ! here's a pic of my cutting mat as i try to convince it to be flat like the table. 24 hours and it still wants to curl. the 5x10 i got is fine, but this 4x8 is bein a *#@%*. "Xtreme" suggests i put it in the sunlight to help it , but i would have to put it outside . Im loosing patience. A big iron maybe?!? Some starch too?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Maybe you can roll it up and put it in the sun to heat, then run it back in and lay it down before it cools?

3. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    Give it a little time. Mine (without guides) was like that at first, too. Five years later, couldn't be better.

4. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    Well,when it arrived, i left it rolled up, taped a peice of scrap corroplast over one end, and set up a heat gun pointing into it. Ran fer about an hour and a half like that. It helped a bit i guess, it's just really too stiff a material. I hope i dont have to wait 5 years haha ...

5. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    run the tourch over it a few times ..haha

do you have a room with a lot of windows that gets warm during the day
    stick it in there for a while

6. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    It looks nice and flat in the picture you posted! Just leave it like that! lol
    Anyway, I agree put it outside in the sun for a few hours and it will flatten out just fine. I did that with mine and it worked.

7. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    okay, outside with the damn thing....

8. Kemble

Kemble Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Colorado
    Lay it over the hood/roof of your car?

9. Cross Signs

Cross Signs Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clearwater FL

There's your problem...Bring it to Florida, It's a thousand degrees here now!!!

10. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Zap it in your microwave for 3:25 seconds then quickly lay it flat on the floor. Do the hokey pokey till it straghtens all out. Then once more, shake and roll it out.

11. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    I have a cutting mat that's about 2-3 years old now. It came rolled up, and I couldn't get the waves out of it. I took it outside in the summer on a black asphalt parking lot and left it there for several hours. Brought it back inside, it laid flat as a pancake. It cooled off, back to the waves. Still 2-3 years later, it still has a couple places in it that won't lay flat. I have used banner hem tape, I have heated it with a heat gun, I have done everything I can think of and I can't get the waves out. I saw the guy at a sign show that we got it from and talked to him about it and he said every so often that get one that will not lay flat. No one knows why, and nothing seems to help, but it does happen.

If you figure it out, let me know. I'd like to resolve this before I die :)

12. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    I just got back from the skating rink. the guy that runs the zambone says he can take care of it.

13. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    Quick Grip the corners to the table or sleep on it..

14. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    The solution for mine was to reverse roll it and set it in the sun for and hour or so, been laying flat ever since.

15. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Give it 48?

16. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    We ended up putting double sided tape on all sides of ours. Worked pretty good,

17. Not A Problem

It will lay flat before you know it. If you have to screw the corners down

18. Sticker Dude

Sticker Dude Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Florida

This is what I was going to recommend
    also I think the glass will be heavy enough to make it lay flat :thumb:

19. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    FYI - STILL isnt flat. it spent the afternoon in the sun a week ago, taped perimeter to table while still warm. Bow came back. Shoulda stuck with 040 PVC. worked fine for years. Disappointed that I wasted $100.

20. zmatalucci

zmatalucci Very Active Member

I'm in the same boat as you..Ended up screwing the edges to the table, and it still has tons of bows in it.