• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XY Cutter

jasonx

A bit concerned that it's listed as "Decomissioned" rather than fully functional.

Nothing to really decommission. Plug it in and turn it on. We cut a lot of SAV on ours so take it apart once a week and give it a good clean.

The first ever Fotoba I bought was a Rollcut from an auction. It was when we were just getting started. I had never heard of Fotoba but assumed it was some kind of cutting machine and bought it cheap. Turned out Peter had sold the same unit to a government department and they got closed up and all their stuff got sold at auction. So I bought it.

The Digitrim is pretty simple. Main board, Motors, Sensors, Cutting blade. You can buy all the parts from Peter. Maybe the keypad might be a bit butchered but that isn't expensive a few hundred. I've replaced ours. Other then that I think we replaced a motor once. Apart from that I can't really recall any other parts being replaced. We're still on our original knives as well. You might need to adjust the sensors but I can tell you how to do that. Its a simple process requires white and black sheets of paper and screw driver.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yeah, just found some videos of the innards of the Digitrim. It's not too different to our Neolt trimmer apart from the cut line detection and alignment bits. Hard to see how they can justify another $25k on top for just that feature. And our Neolt will do 2500mm wide cuts.
Will give Peter another call soon to see what he reckons.
Thanks for the insight.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Just an update, we ended up going for a flexa miura 2 cutter - the quote we got was insanely cheap! (Around 1/4 of the Fotoba)

we got the one without the XY alignment, I’ve cut approx 6 rolls of so in the last week and haven’t had any issues with alignment or any more than 2mm of skew across a full roll. not sure if that’s down to the Colorado being relatively good at winding jobs up straight or it’s just because I’m being pretty careful when setting the jobs up. (We’ll see how that goes when I get used to it and pay less attention)

We done a 50m roll of roller banners in about 6 minutes. Was insane to watch! (Speed was only at 40% too!). I’d say comparing cutting a full roll of say, 36” posters. This think will be easily 15-20 times faster than your best employee. Crazy quick.

what I will say, is it’s pretty manual, you have to manually adjust where the cutter blades sit and then manually adjust the pressure to suit your media (this is fairly straight forward though, there’s a few notches that help you set up routine jobs And pressures).

Any questions feel free to ask!

Frank Fishman

Hi,
I own a Flexa XY Miura, really good machine in my opinion. Really precise also on wallpaper cut. They also developped an optional sensor that follow a veritical black border, of course the machine cuts also on cropmarks.
I didn't hear about this cutter before, discovered on the web and saw this video:
Purchased through Amcad CWT.. They gave me a really good service!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I can’t recommend our flexa highly enough. We simply would not have made it through covid without it. Easily does the work of 6 employees in half the time.

Jobs that used to be huge runs or a nightmare are now a non issue. Done 2500 5” x 8” decals today in about an hour. All cut to size, consistently cut and little to no user intervention.

Frank Fishman

I can’t recommend our flexa highly enough. We simply would not have made it through covid without it. Easily does the work of 6 employees in half the time.

Jobs that used to be huge runs or a nightmare are now a non issue. Done 2500 5” x 8” decals today in about an hour. All cut to size, consistently cut and little to no user intervention.

Happy to hear I'm not alone with this great piece of gear! :) I bought it with the XY alignment optional as said before.. Extremely accurate cut and life-saving when working with poorly rewound rolls. o_O