• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yellow and magenta not printing on VP-540i

FulSnygg

After an ordinary maintenance cleaning (using swabs), the magenta and the yellow printhead stopped working. Pump is drawing ink, so no cloge in the tubes or heads, but the printheads just won't print anything. Black and cyan working as it should.
Haven't yet found any tech who can help, so I'm asking here hoping you have any ideas.

Karen-Kang

After an ordinary maintenance cleaning (using swabs), the magenta and the yellow printhead stopped working. Pump is drawing ink, so no cloge in the tubes or heads, but the printheads just won't print anything. Black and cyan working as it should.
Haven't yet found any tech who can help, so I'm asking here hoping you have any ideas.

1.please provide the nozzel photo , we can check.
2.please check the head cable, you can insert the yellow and magenta cable to other channel of the headboard, see the result.

FulSnygg

2.please check the head cable, you can insert the yellow and magenta cable to other channel of the headboard, see the result.

So, if I switch the cabels from the yellow head to the contacts for the black head on the board (for example) and the other way around, I can rule out if there's something wrong with the head? The yellow should print if the head is ok?

FulSnygg

Heads (magent and yellow) worked fine when I used cabels from black and cyan contacts on board.

WalkerP

Blown fuse on board. You can solder on a new axial fuse, spend $5 and not $1X00 for a new board. Search around on the forum. There are some good descriptions, and even some pics showing how to do it. Very common issue.

Karen-Kang

So, if I switch the cabels from the yellow head to the contacts for the black head on the board (for example) and the other way around, I can rule out if there's something wrong with the head? The yellow should print if the head is ok?
1.exclude the head cable problem.You already did by exchange the cables , and it can work fine, means the head is ok, you can try to replace the Y/M cables to check firstly.
2.the headboard have other channel, you can try your Y/M cable on the other group channel of the headboard.

FulSnygg

Blown fuse on board. You can solder on a new axial fuse, spend $5 and not $1X00 for a new board. Search around on the forum. There are some good descriptions, and even some pics showing how to do it. Very common issue.

I suspect something like that, sadly I have no experience using a multimeter and not really good at soldering though I've done it a few times. So I'm not sure I can fix it myself. I've been asking around for someone with the right knowledge but can't find anyone who dares to try. But I will check around a bit more on the forum.

FulSnygg

1.exclude the head cable problem.You already did by exchange the cables , and it can work fine, means the head is ok, you can try to replace the Y/M cables to check firstly.
2.the headboard have other channel, you can try your Y/M cable on the other group channel of the headboard.

Have already tested the cables from the print carriage board to the printheads, all worked fine.
Not quite sure what the channels on the headboard are/where they are? Can you explain a bit more? Sorry for not following you. First pic is print carriage board and the second pic the board where the 3 cables from carriage board connect. Is it one of those?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150909_103241_resized.jpg
    20150909_103241_resized.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 526
  • 20150909_102555_resized.jpg
    20150909_102555_resized.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 526

WalkerP

I believe it's the F2 fuse on the head board. I'm not 100% sure where that board is located on your exact model. Most it's attached to the main board. Take a meter and measure across the F fuses and you'll know which one's bad. To determine the correct resistance fuse, just measure the resistance across one that is still good.

Karen-Kang

Have already tested the cables from the print carriage board to the printheads, all worked fine.
Not quite sure what the channels on the headboard are/where they are? Can you explain a bit more? Sorry for not following you. First pic is print carriage board and the second pic the board where the 3 cables from carriage board connect. Is it one of those?

attachment.php
attachment.php

thanks for your photo, i thought the vp540 designed for 2 heads, meantime, the headboard is designed two groups of channels.
From your photo, only one group channel, then we cannot check the headboard through change cables channel.
Then first replace the head cable , if still fail to print, then send your headboard to repair company to fix, or replace a new one.
If the headboad had problem, any new head will be fired.
we need to check if the headboad problem.

FulSnygg

thanks for your photo, i thought the vp540 designed for 2 heads, meantime, the headboard is designed two groups of channels.
From your photo, only one group channel, then we cannot check the headboard through change cables channel.
Then first replace the head cable , if still fail to print, then send your headboard to repair company to fix, or replace a new one.
If the headboad had problem, any new head will be fired.
we need to check if the headboad problem.

Thanks for your answer.
Should I replace all three flat cables?
Don't know any company who can fix this. Got price for a replacement headboard, incl installation, it's about $2000-$2500. :covereyes:

FulSnygg

I believe it's the F2 fuse on the head board. I'm not 100% sure where that board is located on your exact model. Most it's attached to the main board. Take a meter and measure across the F fuses and you'll know which one's bad. To determine the correct resistance fuse, just measure the resistance across one that is still good.

Thanks, will try that!

premiercolour

Merchant Member

Good day,

If the machine was printing fine, pump is working as it should. Nozzle test reflects nothing. Most likely the fuse on the mainboard. Use a multimeter to check. We have fuses in stock to ship from California. If I am not mistaken, you are using 3.15A fuse. Take out the fuse and look on the fuse so you will know for sure.

http://www.premiercolour.com/search.php?search_query=fuse