• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yellow wrapping vinyl

AUTO-FX

I have a customer with a van they need wrapped yellow , Pantone 012C
This is for a franchise particular about the color and consistency.
Oracal doesnt have the right yellow in wrapping cast.
Can anyone check their color charts? Hexis? Anyone else make off the shelf color wrapping film?

AUTO-FX

Okay, how about this - has anyone wrapped with 3M 180C series film? Grimco is telling me yes, but because it's only 2 mil will that be a problem? Laminate?

AUTO-FX

Thanks, and here's the scenario. This guy has a One Hour Heating & Air franchise, and has a van with a franchise supplied yellow wrap with cut vinyl applied on top. He wants another done, and wants a quote to match the first van. I think I will just quote it to apply another franchise supplied wrap and be done with it. I was thinking maybe I could make a little more on the job if I supplied the wrap material myself.

Haakon

Okay, how about this - has anyone wrapped with 3M 180C series film? Grimco is telling me yes, but because it's only 2 mil will that be a problem? Laminate?

We used this vinyl to print wraps at a place I used to work before starting for myself, its a very nice vinyl to work with. Looking at the cars that are still around from before they got a laminator, I'd say definately laminate it if printed on.

However, I did my own car with the rest of a roll that had been in the shop for a couple of years, we wouldn't use it on customers cars, so I did my own instead of just throwing it away. Wrappet the car unlaminated, no problem, took it off two years later just before selling the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 95

MikePro

3M yellow transluscant matches it, but i'm sure that's not what you're looking for...
i've ordered custom colors from 3M before. pricey, since you have to order a LOT!
3M Pantone Color Simulator
PANTONE® Color Simulator

Custom Color Matching

Can’t find a match?

Allow us to custom match your color. We have produced over 11,000 custom color matches globally, with our three-day no-charge color match service. People have sent us pieces of cloth, carpet, modeling clay, even a door from a VW; but, we prefer either a PANTONE® Color reference number or a 2 inch x 3 inch color chip. Contact your local 3M Commercial Graphics Distributor or 3M Sales Representative and find out how easy it is to get the finest quality film in a color you want.

OPAQUE
Custom colors available in 7725 Series and 180 Series. 3000 sq.ft. minimum order quantity.

TRANSLUCENT
Custom colors available in 3630 Series and 3632 Series. 3000 sq.ft. minimum order quantity.

AUTO-FX

I was really concerned that this 180 series color impregnated cast vinyl, while it is similar to the digital print media (IJ180c) would be too thin to work with in large widths. I use the IJ180CV3 for wrapping, but it's always laminated, so the laminate gives you the extra "body" to make it a comfortable wrapping experience.
I consulted with a friend around here who is also in this business and he says no worries, it'll be fine, it just requires a little bit more care and a lot less heat when forming.

Haakon

Come to think if it, we wrapped a couple of rally cars with this vinyl, and I remember the yellow one had a clear adhesive, while the white one had a grey backing/adhesive, so the original colour of the cars affected the results. This white Mitsubishi Lancer Evo went fine, but a dark blue Subaru WRX rally car, the yellow vinyl appeared darker because of the dark colour underneath. Where the yellow vinyl overlapped it became brighter because of the dual layers in the overlap.

So check this if the car has a dark paintjob. Is this the shade of yellow you are going to use? If I remember correctly, the 3M spec sheet on this vinyl states which colours that have a grey backing (blockout).

But again, no problem working with this vinyl unlaminated. It was the first vinyl I ever tried to wrap with, and its very forgiving. The comply tech makes it real easy to apply.

Attachments

• DSC_0189.jpg
    DSC_0189.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 128

AUTO-FX

Me and my wrapping accomplice did this van today, 20 labor hours to complete. We used the 3M 180c series vinyl in bright yellow. This film was extremely translucent, so I spent several hours yesterday cleaning thoroughly. There was lettering to remove, which i had previously installed, so I was sure to remove all traces of old adhesive. Anyway, the 180 film was not TOO difficult to work with being so thin and un-laminated, however the adhesive was a bit tackier than the IJ180CV3 so care had to be taken pulling up the film when required.It tended to stick to itself rather aggressively. Extra care was also needed when torching and forming, but not too bad.Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 2011-03-10 14.35.15.jpg
    2011-03-10 14.35.15.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 2011-03-10 17.43.26.jpg
    2011-03-10 17.43.26.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 93

Mosh

Great job! If I was the customer I would have been to "Earl Shive" he'll paint any car for $99.95!!! RIGHT!!!! Anyway that is how the comercial goes. (the guy saying RIGHT!!!)

AUTO-FX

Thanks guys! Hey- something else I meant to mention for the thread's informational purposes - remember to consider the paint color of the vehicle when making color choices with this film . Had this van been red, that yellow would likely appear orange. My accomplice and I were wondering why 3M did not use a grey adhesive rather than clear. I'm not sure, but all the colors in this 180C series probably have clear.

AUTO-FX

Is that a painted vinyl film? I think I remember hearing about a urethane paint coated vinyl. Painted and clearcoated. Anyone used this type of product???

Stealth Ryder

Is that a painted vinyl film? I think I remember hearing about a urethane paint coated vinyl. Painted and clearcoated. Anyone used this type of product???

A friend from europe showed it to me a week or two ago, he said he has been installing it over there for 2 years and said he loved it... I think they are finally trying to introduce it in the US currently...

GypsyGraphics

That looks great chris!

didn't see this thread when you first posted... wondering how close a match the 3M was? looking at my hexis samples, one of their (HX20000 paint replacement) yellows is very close. and it's great to work with!