• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

YESCO employee falls 100' off MGM sign...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Raises a million questions. The article said his co-workers said he was wearing his harness. If he was, did it break? If so, had it been inspected recently? Harnesses don't just break. If it was faulty, I'm betting a lawyer is already drooling and eyeing YESCO like a ribeye. It will be interesting to see if there's a "rest of the story"....

signguy 55

Wasn't YESCO the company that made one of the biggest signs in the world in Vegas back in the '90s I think? I believe it was for the Hilton. Signs of the Times had a cover story about it and about a year later a good wind buckled it.

There are some guys in my area that love the big stuff, but your insurance and workers comp would be incredible each month. I'll stay low to the ground.

S

spmracing

scariest 7 seconds of his life.. Scratch one of his nine lives off..

ExecuPrintGS

Raises a million questions. The article said his co-workers said he was wearing his harness. If he was, did it break? If so, had it been inspected recently? Harnesses don't just break. If it was faulty, I'm betting a lawyer is already drooling and eyeing YESCO like a ribeye. It will be interesting to see if there's a "rest of the story"....
First thing I thought of when this story started was where was his safety harness... If it broke I agree a lawyer someplace is licking their chops.

also agree, that would be my last day.

signage

:rolleyes: Wonder if his underwear were clean when he got to the hospital :omg:

I think that would be my last day at working at heights!

phototec

Wearing it doesn't help if you DON"T hook up to something, maybe he didn't have it hooked up or he hooked it to something weak?

Anyway, glad he has only minor injuries and thank GOD for the palm trees that saved his life.

:smile:

ThinkRight

P.S. That would be my last day in the sign installation business.

You can't let stuff like that keep you from living your life .
Working or playing , I would bet it was the guy that fell own fault .
Complacency , in a rush , distracted , carelessness probably were the reason he fell.
People do this work all day everyday and do not fall .
It is dangerous work , but can and is performed safely .
About 15 years ago I was working on top of a 15 foot ladder , I was up 12 ft in a ceiling and my hand hit a 277volt switch terminal and I landed on my head .
Concussion , broken collar bone , 6 broken ribs and a lost week. ( i do not remember the accident or my week in the hospital)
Back at it and more cautious , ladders and roofs don't bother me.
Have Fun and be safe !

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You can't let stuff like that keep you from living your life .
Working or playing , I would bet it was the guy that fell own fault .
Complacency , in a rush , distracted , carelessness probably were the reason he fell.
People do this work all day everyday and do not fall .
It is dangerous work , but can and is performed safely .
About 15 years ago I was working on top of a 15 foot ladder , I was up 12 ft in a ceiling and my hand hit a 277volt switch terminal and I landed on my head .
Concussion , broken collar bone , 6 broken ribs and a lost week. ( i do not remember the accident or my week in the hospital)
Back at it and more cautious , ladders and roofs don't bother me.
Have Fun and be safe !

Agreed, it was likely carelessness on his part, but if I fell from that high up, regardless of how how happened, I wouldn't be working from heights again.

This is the second YESCO employee that has fallen off that sign. The first one didnt live. Makes you wonder if the two causes are related...

ThinkRight

Agreed, it was likely carelessness on his part, but if I fell from that high up, regardless of how how happened, I wouldn't be working from heights again.

This is the second YESCO employee that has fallen off that sign. The first one didnt live. Makes you wonder if the two causes are related...

Safety training and safety checklist are the only way to minimize this stuff . We have safety training every month and have job site safety evaluation all the time . Before we start any job , we have a safety evaluation checklist we complete .
Repetition is key ,and self awareness is automatic.
Driving in Atlanta is more dangerous than most of the work we do , and we take Smithsafe training regularly .And we have those stupid 1-800 numbers on the back of our trucks.