• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yet ANOTHER newbie.

RedlineMan

Hey All;

Just another newbie in from the cold of lurking.

Same old story. I've been dreaming of a plotter for YEARS, but have never quite been able to justify the cost. It would be more a convenience than anything. I "don't plan" to go into the sign business, but it is very hard to get people to do my graphics the way I want them done. I am too creative, and demanding, to accept less than what my mind's eye sees.

The cheap cutters are so tempting, but I know the pitfalls of not going top shelf. My inclination is ALWAYS to go for the most I can conceive of needing, but in this case I just can't quite afford the usual $1500+ for what I perceive my need and return to be.

Regarding Dustin1324 & Jackpine's advice in this thread http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9924 to check out Sign Supply Store for this renamed Graphtech cutter, I see them advertising a "GT" brand. I don't see DesignTec? Can I correctly assume they've changed this private label model since this thread began? Is it still a Graphtech under the "Cheap's Clothing?"

My buddy just got a Master, and that has got me on the boil again. However, I am just not quite willing to go for a low level machine. If this "GT" stuff at SSS is a Graphtech - for $800 - I just might take the leap... FINALLY!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any support and advice.

Jackpine

Hey All;

Just another newbie in from the cold of lurking.

Same old story. I've been dreaming of a plotter for YEARS, but have never quite been able to justify the cost. It would be more a convenience than anything. I "don't plan" to go into the sign business, but it is very hard to get people to do my graphics the way I want them done. I am too creative, and demanding, to accept less than what my mind's eye sees.

The cheap cutters are so tempting, but I know the pitfalls of not going top shelf. My inclination is ALWAYS to go for the most I can conceive of needing, but in this case I just can't quite afford the usual $1500+ for what I perceive my need and return to be.

Regarding Dustin1324 & Jackpine's advice in this thread http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9924 to check out Sign Supply Store for this renamed Graphtech cutter, I see them advertising a "GT" brand. I don't see DesignTec? Can I correctly assume they've changed this private label model since this thread began? Is it still a Graphtech under the "Cheap's Clothing?"

My buddy just got a Master, and that has got me on the boil again. However, I am just not quite willing to go for a low level machine. If this "GT" stuff at SSS is a Graphtech - for $800 - I just might take the leap... FINALLY!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any support and advice.
It IS NOT a Graphtec!!!! They are no longer a Graphtec dealer. And that is too bad .... they have freat tech support. The "GT Pro may be a branded Ioline cutter. Call and ask for Jermey or Mark. They will steer you straight. Graphtech just released a CE5000Mk2 to replace the CE3000Mk2. I do know of a member who got a great deal on a 3000Mk2 they still had in stock. Call around and try to get a deal on a CE3000Mk2. I don't know the dealer they got it at but you might try that that SignWherehouse location.

RedlineMan

Hey;

Thanks for all your greetings. You're all quite kind. Binghamton area, to be exact. REALLY upstate, where we consider anything south/east of Deposit to be NY City.:wink:

I'm really on the horns here with this thing. I've just been Jonesing for a cutter for so many years, and my buddy buying that Master really put me over the edge. These Chinese things are just so tempting, but I know the downside. I like quality in everything, from sunsets to single malts to puros to Porsches to North Face to Santa Cruz, to whatever. I just like Champagne stuff, and appreciate it intrinsically, but my beer budget just can't quite pull the trigger on the "extravagance" of a $1600 toy.

I prepare and maintain Porsche track and race cars. We obviously need signage now and then. I get so frustrated trying to even source someone to do stuff for a reasonable price, let alone get it done the way I want it. I HATE relying on others for the stuff I want, when I know I could do it all myself... save for that stinkin $1600 entry fee! My last project should give you a clue to my dilema. My design on the sides, printed by Motorsports Designs;

CupRFMouse.jpg

OK... a couple beers and enough of my rambling. If any of you troopers have been here before and found a good solution, I'd be all over it!
:thankyou:

2NinerNiner2

Bonjour de Montréal :)
I've been in your neck of the woods a few times, visiting friends in Ithaca, but I always took the Cortland exit off I-81, coming down from Seery-cues :) Beautiful country in those part :)

welcome...now if these potential customers of your can afford those cars and the cost of racing them..they can afford to pay you properly for lettering and graphics you can do it...good luck

RedlineMan

Thanks all!

welcome...now if these potential customers of your can afford those cars and the cost of racing them..they can afford to pay you properly for lettering and graphics you can do it...good luck
Absolutely, Dan;

This fellow can afford it. That car has been sold, and his new car is due in this month. Unlike that one, the new one is a stock street car, but it will be converted to a track car pretty soon. I'm looking forward to not only the mechanicals, but maybe some vinyl work too.

From everything I am reading here and elsewhere, it sounds like my best bet is Graphtec!

RedlineMan

Bonjour de Montréal :)
I've been in your neck of the woods a few times, visiting friends in Ithaca, but I always took the Cortland exit off I-81, coming down from Seery-cues :) Beautiful country in those part :)
Ca Va, Mon Ami'

My girlfriend lives in Brockville, and I have many friends in the Porsche Cub throughout Quebec and Ontario. :thumb: :Canada: