• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

yeti coolers

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have a customer who wants a printed wrap on their yeti coolers. high tack vinyl won't stick to it. anybody have any ideas on what to do?
(money isn't an object)

gnubler

I went through this last year when a customer wanted his logo on the coolers. Nothing stuck, like you said. I ended up ordering Footprints (high tack floor vinyl) from S365 and it stuck "good enough" to get the job out the door. I'll never do coolers again.

ikarasu

You have to take a blow torch to it first to get rid of all the oils.

We use 180 lse, combined with torching off all the oils, at bonds very well. We do lots of graphics on coolers and stuff that is moulded plastics, the biggest key is to torch off all the oils first , they use oil inside of the moulding so that the plastic can pop on easier.

JBurton

Signtologist
Wild, I gave a contractor a mess of logos on Arlon SLX for his coolers, he said they worked great. Could have sworn he said they were yeti's.

JBurton

Signtologist
Wild, I gave a contractor a mess of logos on Arlon SLX for his coolers, he said they worked great. Could have sworn he said they were yeti's.
Got word back, the stickers were holding up just fine, they were installed with a heat gun per my recommendation. Only thing, they weren't yet's, they were mammoth's. YMMV

ikarasu

I picked this video because I was hoping to see a flamingo get its head burnt out...

But you pretty much pick up a propane torch from any hardware store - Flame it like this guy is (You wont have the wide nozzle), and you'll find vinyl sticks to it 100x better than without. It's the same for Traffic cones... We have to flame treat those before applying graphics or they can just slide right off. And highway bams... and anything thats "Moulded" plastic because of the oily residue. But we do thousands of items like this and none fail. You may even get away with regular vinyl after doing it... but I'd still use a HT just to make sure it lasts.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I picked this video because I was hoping to see a flamingo get its head burnt out...

But you pretty much pick up a propane torch from any hardware store - Flame it like this guy is (You wont have the wide nozzle), and you'll find vinyl sticks to it 100x better than without. It's the same for Traffic cones... We have to flame treat those before applying graphics or they can just slide right off. And highway bams... and anything thats "Moulded" plastic because of the oily residue. But we do thousands of items like this and none fail. You may even get away with regular vinyl after doing it... but I'd still use a HT just to make sure it lasts.
the top of these yetis are textured. i just tried this method on a texture table we have and it doesn't work.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
There's also a plasma generator that is available for (corona) treating plastic. Google the term "dyne testing" to learn how to raise surface energy.

ikarasu

We wrapped a few yetis using this method and it worked. Combined with 180 LSE though... so a high tac ontop of flaming. 180 is a high tac that conforms, so maybe thats what makes the difference with the texture?

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Find a local Drytac distributor (Reece should have them) and ask for a hand sample of Polar Grip. One of my customers did a job on coolers (not sure what brand) but this product stuck to the textured plastic surface. It is a high coat weight of high-tack adhesive designed to stick to stuff other adhesives don't stick to. Worth a try as it is inexpensive for what it does. We sell it for $305/roll. If you don't know Reece send me an email and I'll send you some hand samples to see if it bonds.

Kimberly Hiles

DarkerKat
We got an order for yeti decals about 6 or 7 years ago, wound up using thin supercast (think it was Avery) and applying it with heat. But we didn't wrap the whole thing, just the front flat section under the yeti logo. Hate working on that textured plastic material

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Drytac Polar grip. 20"x5' sample is available for purchase.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
yea. it did. thanks! I went on to do a bunch of tables with it.

they also have another product thats pretty cool. AND I got on board with a new supplier and new products. Thanks!
Glad to help. If you ever need any suggestions in the future, you've got my number.

starknakedent

3951 Oracful we found was the highest tac for plastic. Be sure to flame it to burn off the oils first & wipe down with acetone. Once you put it down it won't come off. In the event that you want to remove a sticker down the road, use 3M IJ39. It is a high tac vinyl that works well. Between the two mentioned is the best vinyl we found.