• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

You can't make this stuff up.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
We recently had an employee with no criminal history use one of our trucks to case houses that were unoccupied because they were for sale to break into them and steal the copper pipe for drug money. He was seen on a camera inside a vacant house, and the police were called but he took off, leaving our truck in the driveway.
The police came to my house on a Sunday night at 9:30PM since the truck was mistakenly registered to me at the registry a week before, I had noticed it and made another appointment the following week to get it under the companies name.
When they figured out that it was not me they were looking for, they searched for the employee but could not find him. He turned himself in the following week with his family member public defender attorney and was charged with the B&E.

You would think that it ended there but he still had some company property so the police suggested that I withhold his last check until he returned our stuff.
So that is what I told him, he could get his check when we got our stuff. ( I know the department of labor in our state would not agree with this. )
A few days later, the first employee in at 5am called saying there was a break in at our office. The police were called.
The former employee had used one of our ladders to smash a second floor window and break into the office to steal the petty cash. He got around $150.00.
We have cameras covering the main doors and he knew how to avoid them.
He cut himself breaking the window and bled on the window and everything else he touched. The police took it for DNA evidence and I believe that he was charged later because of the matching DNA, He did fight the police when they tried to get a DNA sample adding to the charges against him.
He was caught again while out on bail breaking into other houses.

The window is fixed, more cameras were added, but you can't plan for everything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's easy to follow.

Substitute the bad employee for himself. He was testing the waters for making some copper wire profits on the side. He used to go around stealing catalytic converters til the copper sounded more profitable and easier. His next plan was to go up on church and school roofs and take the A/C units apart.

gnubler

Cocaine is a helluva drug!
Meth, more likely. Sounds like the handiwork of a tweaker.

I worked a print shop once where we showed up one morning to no power. There wasn't an outage, but tweakers had climbed a fence and destroyed the electricity panel/wiring on the building, presumably stealing the copper. Seems like a whole lot of work for whatever they got...is scrap copper really that valuable? My boss looked like he was going to cry, an emergency repair ran him something like $10,000 and payroll was delayed for a week because of it.

At the same place we showed up one morning to find a bum passed out at the front door with a bunch of cheap booze bottles & cans all over the place. We thought he was dead until one of us kicked him (not hard) and he moved. LOL. I don't miss working at that place, it was like a war zone.

Gettin'By

Last place I worked (it was electronics repair) was in one of the prefabbed single story industrial complexes. Several times someone stone all the copper from the AC units on top of the buildings, like the whole building. Several businesses in it. We were at the back of the complex near the railroad tracks.

Signarama Jockey

...tweakers had climbed a fence and destroyed the electricity panel/wiring on the building, presumably stealing the copper. Seems like a whole lot of work for whatever they got...is scrap copper really that valuable?
Copper is getting close to $3 per pound. Personally, I try to save up copper and make a couple of bucks, but I'm not going to be retiring off of it.