• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

You want me to teach you what!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds familiar.

Quite a few years ago, I had a guy that would come in and buy all kinds of stuff from me.... once, twice and even three times a month. Always stuff for customizing cars. One day he came in with his own vinyl. I said, whatcha tryin' to do.... cut me out of making some money ?? He said, no, one of his customers gave him this roll. Right... a 30" x 150' roll of vinyl ?? Anyway, more of his customers started giving him vinyl and I finally said, whadafug are you trying' to do here ?? His comeback was, it was faster for him to have his customers supply the vinyl then to have me get these God awful colors he kept coming up with and paying me to stock it.

Finally, one day he showed up and wanted to rent garage space from me.... after hours. Like 2AM to 6AM. I told him he was frickin' looney. Later, I heard of a sign shop that opened and turned out it was this guy. Maybe about 2 miles from our old shop. He came strutting in one day and said how he was now running a sign shop and was going to give me a run for my money on some of the smaller jobs. I said, I have one better. I'll send a lot of work your way.... all the chit jobs I don't want, you can have for free. He asked me if I would really do that for him and I said sure, but I hope you're ready for the work. He said, well, I got me a cutter..... a PC-5000, for those that remember that little piece of charming crap. He then asked if I would teach him Corel Draw and how to get pictures from the computer to his cutter ?? I said, no, I can't do that any longer for ya. You're on your own now.

He was out of business within less than a year. Actually he was arrested and from what I heard still serving. Later, his wife called me and asked if I would teach her how to use the setup. What a team.... a real Mutt & Mrs Muff.

Yep, they're out there and their breeding like wild fire.................. :thumb:

"Deposit Please"

Exactly. They get some crappy cutter from a garage sale, and without any knowledge, they think their gonna conquer the world. lol.:ROFLMAO:

Kottwitz-Graphics

Yeah, I had a guy that had a wrecker, and he came in to get it lettered. While finishing up on the last door, he told me he went on Ebay, and got himself one of them "fancy sticker cutters" for his wife to take to the flea market to give her something to do on the weekends...by the way, how do you run it, and "where do you get the sticker stuff" (his exact words)... I told him that we order ours from a sign supplier, but I wouldn't give him a name...(turns out it was a cheap ebay chinese pos).

I saw the same wrecker about 2 months after that day, and he had a bunch of lettering on it that was way out of whack (really unproportional) with crap like "Get 'er towed" and other dumb s%^t sayings...along with "ask me about signs"...

I gave him a call and reminded him that I did the lettering on the doors, and I would not be happy if I hear that he was claiming it as his own. He told me that a kid that did hang around my shop (not working, just hanging) had helped him set the machine up, and was going to start helping him "sticker up everything"...

About a year, the kid comes walking into my shop, and told me that the guy had lost his buisness (the wrecker was repoed), and the sign making didn't do anythng to speak of, and in fact the guy couldn't pay the kid for the last 2 weeks that he worked. So he gave the kid the plotter...good luck... Now the kid shows up on my door with plotter in hand wanting to know if I wanted the machine as a "back up" (I guess in case my Summa stopped working)... I told him sure, opened up my wallet and fished out $5 and told him to just lay it down by the door...He starts laughing and says "Very funny...I need $800 for the thing". I told him that they were only getting a couple hundred from ebay, and the only reason that I was giving him the $5 was I wanted to see what a 12 ga would do to it...

heyskull

Their is a car dealer across the way from us that bought a chinese plotter and started plastering his car in vinyl.
It was always soooo funny going past seeing lettering going over handles and round on to tailgates and bonnets (hoods).
And some of the strangest colour combinations ever. such as real light yellow on a white car!
Needless to say after about 6 months he quit this and when talking to him he admitted the plotter had been hard work and couldn't do the sort of work we did...

SC

Mosh

You people act lie vinly cutting is only for smart people! come your doing it right?

heyskull

Hee Hee Hee

Most vinyl monkees who buy a plotter haven't a clue on layout or typefaces.
Brush Script rules and squash them layouts so everything just looks like a barcode.

SC

Jillbeans

I once had some skanky b!tch drop in and ask if she could "borrow" my software disc because the plotter she bought at a flea market didn't come with one.
I told her sure, for $1000 I'd loan it to her.
Her "sign shop" was open about 1 month.

Unfortunately, we can expect this crap to keep on happening.
Love.....Jill

PS
Sounds like you are better off without the jackwagon restaurant guy anyway.
F him.

signmeup

mosh i'm amazed you only misspelled two words.
I don't think Mosh "misspelled" any words. I think he wrote it like that on purpose.

BTW... if you press the shift key it makes letters bigger. This is often done at the beginning of sentences or people's names.

W

wetgravy

I have had a couple of people ask me to show them how to use theirs. Had a lady want to trade me it for some magnets on her truck.
The worse was when I was down in Anthem for a Bridal/Wedding shower thingy for my brother and fiance. My soon to sis-in-law's mother came up to me(have never met her before) and said she makes stickers like me. Told me she just got her cricut and couldn't wait to make all the decals for her car and just married sign for the back of my brothers truck. Then wanted me to show her how to use it better. She had to show me where she had it set up and everything. I said first you have to have it set up in the right spot. Unplug it and I will show you the best place for it. She unplugged it, I opened the sliding glass door and said now chuck it over the wall and you should be good. walked back into the party to get another drink. Probably shouldn't have done that but I blame my brother. He was the one who was making the drinks.

That is awesome. Truly awesome.

showcase 66

That is awesome. Truly awesome.
We will see how awesome this weekend at the wedding. My brother says his future MIL is still pissed at me. If she is pissed at me for that and I only had a few drinks, she will probably not want to bring any of it up after the Bachelor party on Friday. Whats going to be funny, is that the rehearsal dinner is at her place.

showcase 66

PS
Sounds like you are better off without the jackwagon restaurant guy anyway.
F him.

As of right now, I dont plan on it. I saw a banner at one place this morning. "BREAKFAST" Looked like it was a 2'x4'banner with the lettering from edge to edge pretty much. You could barely read it from it being so squished and stretched up.

I will probably hear something from him soon enough. If I do, no more discounts for him.

Craig Sjoquist

Well would turn it into money making for me not get upset over it all, people are just that we want to save money and learn new things, we all are not happy with what someone else does or charges and try to do what we can win or lose we try.

So getting upset and being arrogant does not earn dollars a simple no and leave is fine, but that creates no sales, and puts a big negative thoughts into customers and makes things worse, charging for your time would have been the best answer, he would have tried his hand in sign making and succeeded or gave up sooner or later but still would come back to you as a great competitor or customer that sells your work.

One of the reasons we share our know how is so we all improve making us all stronger and better, is this not the reason of this forum and why you come here, I do.

TheSnowman

Mosh I'm amazed you only misspelled two words.

I'm amazed he can pull up anything other than boobs on the internet.

We used to get calls several times a month asking us who we used for suppliers, etc. Most of the time it was when I was gone to lunch, and you'd better believe I wasn't calling them back. I don't get why it makes sense to people to just ask the guy who does their work where they get all their stuff and how to go about it. If I'm ever sneaking around knowing I should be paying someone for a job that I'm trying to do myself, I don't bug them, I do my own research.

natedawg9640

what? you don't like handing out free info to competitors either?

I get asked almost daily to do "how to" write ups for what i sell. it's quiote rediculous.