Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You want your sign made out of WHAT?

Discussion in 'Think Green!' started by Carolina Girl, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Carolina Girl

Carolina Girl Member

Dec 26, 2006
    OK, call my knowledge base "un-green", but my local University wants signs (big job) made of 30% post industrial recycled plastic with fiberglass reinforcement, 3/4" thick (must state "recycled"). Google gives me a "What The" look when I searched there, mostly studies show up. Any shops out there work with similar "green" substrates?

Tags:
  2. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Sounds like they've already dealt with another shop who wrote the specs on what the sign needed to be and now they're getting other bids on the same material.
    ....and there's a possibility that somebody just made up the material specs.

You know, technically if you sell them a used sign face it's "recycled"

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. Carolina Girl

Carolina Girl Member

Dec 26, 2006
    You would think that's correct. Unfortunately, this is directly from the spec sheet. They are receiving Government grants and this is their requirement. Talk about seeing "red"

4. adkmaid

adkmaid Member

Nov 1, 2010
    bedford technology llc. www.plasticboards.com they make recycled plastic that comes in different grades and many different colors, sounds like you are looking for the fiberforce it is fiberglass reinforced and they even have one that has rebar in it. so no you are not crazy....I work for the government and this is the company i am using, because we are on a "green initiative", they are listed with the federal government as a green vendor i think.

5. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida