• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"You'll have to eat your chili with a fork": Managerial Failure 101

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They sound good on the internet. Neither of them are anywhere close to me. Oh well, just will eat the stuff around here.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How would you know???! Must have been the special underwear you sent him as a "present". winkwink
I send him packs of 50 from Costco every Christmas... usually around this time of year he starts asking me if I've done my Christmas shopping yet and when do I plan on mailing out.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I've rarely ever eaten at a Wendy's restaurant since working at one for a few months back in high school. I learned how the chili was made for one thing. All the extra meat patties that would burn too long on the grill were re-used for the chili meat. The over-grilled patties would all go into a huge pot to boil off as much of the burned parts as possible. The meat was grinded up and put into the actual chili pot along with a giant can of tomato sauce mix, giant can of beans and a big package of chili power mix. The chili actually did taste pretty good, despite the burned beef.

Frosties taste good, but the novelty wears off fast when you're drinking a bunch of the surplus stuff as a result of cleaning out the machine at the end of the shift. I had the freezer at my parents' house packed with Frosties for a short time. No one was going to drink all those things. A re-freezed/re-thawed Frosty isn't as good as a fresh one straight out of the machine.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
+1 for Culver's....the youngsters are extremely well mannered and well dressed...there's not a sloppy one in the bunch.

I'd be willing to bet that Culver's has four times the national average of employees per square foot of restaurant.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've rarely ever eaten at a Wendy's restaurant since working at one for a few months back in high school. I learned how the chili was made for one thing. All the extra meat patties that would burn too long on the grill were re-used for the chili meat. The over-grilled patties would all go into a huge pot to boil off as much of the burned parts as possible. The meat was grinded up and put into the actual chili pot along with a giant can of tomato sauce mix, giant can of beans and a big package of chili power mix. The chili actually did taste pretty good, despite the burned beef.
You just described why I like it so well (I already knew). I love it when there are crispy bits of burger in it. It's a freakin' brilliant way to stretch inventory.

Sadly, the Frosty has changed for the worse...it used to have a bit coarser texture which was awesome. Now, they seem too creamy/syrupy....which is exactly the same as McD's.

JB

JBurton

Signtologist
+1 for Culver's....the youngsters are extremely well mannered and well dressed...there's not a sloppy one in the bunch.

I'd be willing to bet that Culver's has four times the national average of employees per square foot of restaurant.

JB
Sounds like a "David's Burgers" from around here. 20 kids working at any time, all obviously getting paid to have a great attitude, always a guy walking around with a giant bowl of fresh fries (bottomless fries come with everything), place is nearly spotless. Of course, when you're paying $15 for a hamburger, you expect a little more..
. I learned how the chili was made for one thing.
This is wild, and makes me wonder how their canned chili is made. It's like $4 a can, which made me chuckle when I saw it on the shelf.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
James Burke said:
Sadly, the Frosty has changed for the worse...it used to have a bit coarser texture which was awesome. Now, they seem too creamy/syrupy....which is exactly the same as McD's.

I would have to try out a new Frosty to experience the difference. I worked at a Wendy's location in Quantico, VA back in the mid 1980's. Frosties were definitely the "old school" variety then. They were great fresh out of the Frosy machine. They weren't so good after being "saved for later" in a freezer. The texture of the drink would change and sort of become more brittle. It's like certain contents would separate or something. It would mostly taste the same. But there would be this sort of watery, icy thing laced in with the chocolate. It wasn't very good.

Important tip for anyone buying a Frosty at a Wendy's restaurant: drink it when you order it. Don't stick it in the freezer to save for later.

JBurton said:
This is wild, and makes me wonder how their canned chili is made. It's like $4 a can, which made me chuckle when I saw it on the shelf.

The meat in the retail canned chili might possibly be better. On the other hand, the canned chili is going to have a s***-ton more sodium added into it as a preservative. Trade-offs I guess.

Johnny Best

Never heard of Culver’s or Kwik Trip, must be a Wisconsin area places. I have been on Kwik trips in the 60s at Wisconsin Dells with blotter acid.