• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Favorite Catalog & Why

dlndesign

I am in the process of designing a catalog. I would like to get some input from sign companies on what the best product catalog that you've recieved. What are the catalogs you've read, kept & ordered from over the years and why?

Craig Sjoquist

so what kind of catalog you making
specialized one or general
myself I go after specialized areas and when looking those catalogs they seem easier to understand

Malkin

In addition to having items in categories, an index is a must. If I know what item I need, I hate trying to figure out what section it might be in. Much better to turn to the index and find the page number.

I think Fellers dropped the index once, what a mistake that was.

Pat Whatley

Good pictures, good descriptions, and if you really want to be my friend offer a version with and without prices, I don't care if it's just a digital version done that way.

I love using Fellers online catalog like that, I can pull up the pages of banner stands and email them to my customer.

I HATE having a separate price sheet to go look up prices in because I always end up losing it.

MikePro

Still partial to Fellers' catalog... with the color tabs/indexing.
Big pics, random tidbits, and plenty of organized info.
... and almost seems Narrated by Frank, himself. (or he just loves his face on everything)

Still a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from dealing with their warranties/accounting department, but they're still a solid supplier.

Hell of a Product Catalog, regardless.

Dice

Even though I only order 1 thing from them, the fellers catalog can't be beat.

Hands down Fellers is the best at producing catalogs.

dlndesign

Pat, is the only reason you do not like the seperate pricing sheet is because you can loose it easily? What if that was something you could easily go to the website and download a new copy, would that be good for you?

TheSnowman

Yea, as far as ordering from a catalog, Fellers nailed it. I haven't gotten one from them that I haven't liked. And +1 for a catalog w/o pricing. I kinda like what Gemini does with that even. I show it to the customer, and know my price is X% less.

joeshaul

I also agree, even though Fellers uses Bleeding Cowboy all over the place, their catalog is one of my first gotos when looking up a material, and I've probably read through it multiple times while on the crapper!

As others have mentioned, some of the major plus's:
Pics and good thorough descriptions of the material
An unpriced as well as a priced catalog
Good indexing as well as categorical (although sometimes things end up in more than one category so best to just hit the index in that case)
One of the things I really like is they give a rough Pantone match on their vinyls. Probably doesn't pertain to what you're looking to develop, but gives you an idea of going above and beyond the typical information a catalog has.
Catalog being available to download as well is nice, and they require you to have your customer id/etc to get the priced version to prevent outsiders from the industry getting the pricing info.

dlndesign

So here is what I have so far.
1. Fellers
2. Gemini
3. Stouse

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Thanks for all your insights!

AUTO-FX

i am not fond of multiple columns on each page that end up like patchwork ( like grimco ) but if you have to, advantage has done a good job.

MikePro

Agreed, Advantage crams a LOT of pricing information into a small space, but they do make it somewhat appealing to the eye... but just barely.
Love their color coding too, easy to scroll to the right chunk of the catalog without much thinking.

GB2

Old Member
Make sure the catalog is in a vertical format. Creative Banner is an example of what not to do with a catalog, in their horizontal format no pricing version. It doesn't fit well on a shelf, it doesn't go in a binder, just a plain dumb idea if you ask me.