• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

YOUR opinion: Best printer for vehicle wraps.

Titan

I'm setting up a new shop in Mexico for a friend/business associate who is looking for a large format printer. I currently own (in Canada) a Roland Pro II 545 but I have also used a Mutoh and an Epson - all three Eco-Solvent inks (or some variant). It has been years since I bought a new printer, and I was wondering what the current consensus is for the best/most economical printer choice would be. We'll be printing exclusively on 3M control tac.

Thanks everyone!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm far from an expert on this, but if you are only considering one base kind of ink, they are all comparable in speed, accuracy and level of maintenance. I would imagine whatever you feel comfortable with using your software of choice and comfort level of knowledge of the machine itself. Tech support and ease of getting supplies is also something to consider.

Whether you're in Canada or Mexico, you'll be inside doing this, so I'd say do what ya think is best.

2B

the recent polls / stats are to be true, then HP latex is the clear winner.

again like Gino said it comes down to what you are most comfortable with as that will be the ensure you are up and running smoothly and quickly

rjssigns

Service, service, service. All brands break down and usually in the middle of huge job. You need to be able to get a tech on site same day or next day. Find a reputable dealer with good techs as close as possible to the shop.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
HP Latex is the best option for a new printer not only for vehicle wraps but just about everything you can think of. Great support, great price, great quality pretty much sums it up.

rjssigns

HP Latex is the best option for a new printer not only for vehicle wraps but just about everything you can think of. Great support, great price, great quality pretty much sums it up.

Do the have the same level of service in Mexico? I'm curious about their presence in other countries.

tomence

If you want a printer that will last you a long long time probably Mimaki will be your best bet. Even though i own HP Latex, I will be lucky if i get 3 years out of this POS. Since day one i had problems with it.
Does it print good - yes when it works, do i like the prints that are coming out of it - yes they are perfect, but when something goes wrong which will very soon after the warranty of 1 year expires, be prepared to pay top dollar for labor and parts.
When my HP dies i am going back to Mimaki, because it has been a proven workhorse.

Titan

the recent polls / stats are to be true, then HP latex is the clear winner.

again like Gino said it comes down to what you are most comfortable with as that will be the ensure you are up and running smoothly and quickly

A few interesting votes for latex, with which I have no experience. When they were fairly new I was inquiring and the clincher came down to when the salesman said to expect to change the print heads 2-3 times per year, but don't worry they are only a few hundred dollars each as opposed to the Roland $1k each. I told him however, in 7 years I've only had to replace ONE Roland printhead. He was baffled. Perhaps they have come along since then.

Titan

Service, service, service. All brands break down and usually in the middle of huge job. You need to be able to get a tech on site same day or next day. Find a reputable dealer with good techs as close as possible to the shop.

This is excellent advice. I've always been able to service my Roland myself (changed a pump, a print head, the encoder strip etc.). This is something to take into consideration.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
A few interesting votes for latex, with which I have no experience. When they were fairly new I was inquiring and the clincher came down to when the salesman said to expect to change the print heads 2-3 times per year, but don't worry they are only a few hundred dollars each as opposed to the Roland $1k each. I told him however, in 7 years I've only had to replace ONE Roland printhead. He was baffled. Perhaps they have come along since then.

I too have only replaced one print head in my Roland. A new printer is in my future, and I wouldn't mind to go with another Roland, but I want to learn a little more about the latex printers first.