• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your opinion on warranties.

Seano32

Do you guys fall back on a manufactures warranty or do you offer your own?
Does the MCS warranty come into play?
Have you ever had to make a claim with 3M or Avery?

We recently got approval for the MCS warranty and was curious to see what you guys thought about it and if you use it as a sales tool.

Thanks

rjssigns

We offer the tail light warranty. When we can't see 'um there's no warranty. :Big Laugh

Actually our shop has the gentleman's agreement warranty. I tell clients if there is any issue whatsoever for X amount of time come back. It has worked well through the years.

Of course there are certain exceptions. A clients employee thought it would be a good idea to use high pressure steam to clean the vehicles. Ripped the graphics off 2 trucks.(think she woulda stopped after one) We didn't warranty that. Gotta scratch yer head sometimes...

Seano32

Thats typically what we do. By telling the customer that if any problems arise within a year or two we will fix it at no charge, depending if it is an install issue or a printing issue. As for customer damage issue we offer the replacement at a discounted rate.
I was more curious if anybody used the warranty offered by the manufacturer?

Last edited:

lexsigns

dont even get me going on Avery!!!! over 500 vehicles done in a 2 yr period that all were A8 defective- I contacted all my clients redid more than I can count for free gave credits and fought Avery tooth and nail! They wont stand behind ANYTHING! you are a little guy and they don't care!! not even enough to tell anyone there is a problem or make good on it 2 years into it
luckily have not had issues with oracal or 3M ... I will always stand behind my work within a reasonable amount of time ( and client care)

ddarlak

Go Bills!
dont even get me going on Avery!!!! over 500 vehicles done in a 2 yr period that all were A8 defective- I contacted all my clients redid more than I can count for free gave credits and fought Avery tooth and nail! They wont stand behind ANYTHING! you are a little guy and they don't care!! not even enough to tell anyone there is a problem or make good on it 2 years into it
luckily have not had issues with oracal or 3M ... I will always stand behind my work within a reasonable amount of time ( and client care)

Colorado wants you to forgive them...

worthy1

They wont stand behind ANYTHING!

Not sure how it works over in the states but here in Australia we go through the authorised sellers, we never purchase from Avery direct. We had a defect roll of gloss black and it was replaced no questions asked very quickly (interstate shipping overnight)

This was a preinstall warranty, I do however wonder what warranties would be like after installation. I can imagine it would be a pain to prove that it is a manufacturing defect as opposed to a install/customer issue which it appears the issue that you have come across lexsigns. Before install they almost have to honour warranties but after install id imagine any big company will do what they can to prove it is not them to avoid a payout.

rjssigns

IMO the mfg's warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. It is a feel good tactic to get shops locked into buying their product.

I've said it before I'll say it again. When money is going their way it's all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Saying or doing whatever it takes to get you to give them your money. You can figure out the rest.

You could do a poll and find how many members got hosed through the years. Bet it is nothing short of jaw dropping.

worthy1

IMO the mfg's warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. It is a feel good tactic to get shops locked into buying their product.

Havent thankfully had to experience yet but unfortunately that is what we expect from major corporations these days, not just vinyl companies either.

That is why i also only offer a replacement for installation defects for x time period. I mention nothing about the vinyl companies 'guarentee' and ensure i specify replacement of the problem area also. This is to avoid people searching for a tiny defect just to get their money back on the whole lot as they decide the colour or wrapping is not for them.

The problem then comes down to when a customer comes back and the issue does stem from something the Company should own up to. You are inclined to fix the issue for them and then are out of pocket as the vinyl company will not front up which is very poor as lexsigns has found. Puts us all potentially in a bad situation.