• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your stuff aint that safe in your truck...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a service body pickup truck... the one with all the cool toolboxes and stuff. Well, the key that I use to start the ignition and drive is the same one that opens the toolboxes...cool huh? I use to have a separate key but I guess they made it easier.

WEELLLLLLL... I recently got my wife a new Tahoe, it's a Chevy just like my truck. I was outside breaking up a pallet and went to lock all my toolboxes... no problem there.. Went to start the truck to put it back behind the house... no go. Realized it was my wife's Tahoe keys and sure enough, they open and close the toolboxes. So WTF are the locks for if just any ol' Joe Schmoe can open em??

Dan360

One of our guys had over 10k in tools stolen out of his truck one night, he worked as a carpenter for years and some of that stuff was well over 20 years old. It sucks, my philosophy is anything that isn't inside our locked building, it's considered open.

But then again, if one was inclined enough to get into anything it's possible. A lot of those toolboxes and bed covers with locks are more deterrents than physical security.

Jburns

Yep - my wife had a VW jetta at one point - and accidentaly unlocked, and got in the WRONG can in a parking lot!
Keys are too similar.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, just get a good locksmith out there and come up with some kinda good security set up.

Our one truck was used when we bought it and a document shredding company had the locks totally re-done. I've never seen a lock mechanism or key like it and if you don't have this key, you won't get in, unless you torch the doors off. I hadda jump through hoops to get extra keys made for it. The whole thing was on file and I got 3 more keys. Each key was around $45 each. She ended up giving me all three for $90. She threw one in for extra measure.

Last edited:

2B

Pretty much,
Old school padlocks do the same thing.

We ALWAYS
  • Change out the T-Locks with New ones, we prefer each lock to be keyed differently.
  • Add additional locks to the default

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Your service body probably came with a set of Bolt Locks. They are installed without being keyed. They are set by using the OEM key in them the first time. Turn them once with the OEM key and that is the only key that is supposed to be able to open them. Your Tahoe and truck key must be cut the same but chipped differently. See if your truck key will open the Tahoe doors.
We sell Leer toppers and tonneaus and they come with the Bolt Locks.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yup. One of our Ford keys can open up some of our other vehicles.

I've been watching a lot of LockpickingLawyer on youtube. Really surprising and scary how insecure a lot of "secure" locks are.

Interesting videos for sure... Found this as one of the recommended ones and this guy is from Allen, TX. I used to have three cars and our extra one would be parked in front of the house and I never let it get dirty... I felt safer going out of town and knowing I had a car in the driveway.. he just confirmed it.