• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your thoughts on New business card

tintguy31794

The original card (bottom) is what my step father has been using for years.. I decided as a Christmas present to make him a new set. I would like to have you guys opinions or thoughts on the card. The background is just a comp from istock right now. It is a complex drywall installation.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• whitebc.jpg
    whitebc.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 165

SignManiac

Stop using black next to red and condensing the text so much. Move your text in and give it some breathing room. At the moment, your dads card reads better.

gnatt66

too much info on there for my liking.if you insist on having all that, use the back for the laundry list. the background image kills me honestly. black and red dont often work well in layers (but i'm guilty of it too).

make it more simple, legible (imagine it on one of those biz card bulletin boards as you walk by) and CLEAN.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
A Black outline on Red text is a bad idea.
You need to miter the points on your outline so they don't look like horns.
I wouldn't outline the stripes.
More breathing room around the edges.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
in addition to what everyone else has said, round the points on the outline for the co. name...i hate those sharp points...

Steve C.

Remember its a card, not a sign. Give it some breathing space . Try another
font that wont give you the spikes on the serifs. Try WHITE on the main
copy instead of red With just an outline. leave outlines off of secondary
copy.

gnatt66

and here's a quick stab at it....i think my fonts are wonky, but an attempt.

Attachments

• drywall.jpg
    drywall.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 77

Pat Whatley

Forget the picture in the background....it's just going to throw everything off.....then do what everybody else said.

tintguy31794

I know I have not changed much on this card, but I feel like this one is a winner for him. .20 of the background picture is the bleed so it won't be quite as far from the edge.

I do appreciate input!

Thanks you,

Brent

Attachments

• whites.pdf
    332.4 KB · Views: 183

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't want to insult you, but his old one is better.

You have pulled out about every stop imaginable and are using artwork you have to purchase and its still a cluster**** of lines and angles that are hard to read for anyone. Remember, this is going to be viewed by people that NEED to read this thing.... not study it.

Try easing up on all the effects and instead of being so anxious to make this thing a masterpiece... again, its just a business card and must be recognized in about a 1/2 second.

Last thought..... do you think you'll offend your step father in a round about way, giving him something he has no say in ?? After all, it is HIS business.

SignManiac

I have to agree with Gino here. You need to go back to the drawing board. You're missing the forest for the trees.

Tiki

Font Sage
+2 (LOSE) the background image why not work on some sort of Logo instead of stretched out type with kerning issues

Pat Whatley

If you're going to insist on using that ridiculous picture at least stick it in some photo editing software and get rid of those big black spots in the lower right.

Personally I'm still thinking Dad's original card looked better.

SignManiac

Stick with black and white first, then play with color. You have too much crap on yours. Why do you need both home and cell numbers anyway? They have cell phones with them everywhere, so do away with the home numbers. Here's a simple approach.

Attachments

• Whites Drywall.jpg
    Whites Drywall.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 81

jc1cell

In my opinion it looks very busy. Too much copy and all the angles on the image just make it look cluttered. Try using only the main copy (company name / logo) in the front with a solid or gradient background so it stands out.

And in the back use the photo with the rest of the copy positioned in the spaces with no wall angles.

Then again, read my signature. :thumb:

jc

Jillbeans

Listen to the advice you've been given.
Look at SignManiac's example. Compare it to yours.
Which reads better?
All those phone numbers just add more clutter.
And I don't think it's good to use a pic of something he didn't do.
Love....Jill

Graphicdetailsinc

what about the back?? put the photo there and add a tag line or something. But the front is definitely WAY over crowded and just an all around beginner mistake.

Marlene

Look at SignManiac's example.

SignManiac's example is good, clear and professional looking without a ton of stuff. it also could be used as a magnetic or truck lettering.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been on the forum in months and nothing has changed. :)

I'm in awe of the amount of patience you all have for people that don't listen even after asking for advice or critique.

Here's my .02: The old card is simple, cheap to reproduce, and in a world of poorly done full color business cards will actually stand out and be noticed. I think his old card's font for White's Drywall is actually a decent logo type as well.

If you really want to help him why not make some vehicle graphics, yellow page ad, or newspaper ad instead.