Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Zip Change Track to 2 sided ACM

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by joshGN, Jan 13, 2020.

1. joshGN

joshGN Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Edmond,Ok
    Im needing to mount zip change track to each side of a single 3mm ACM panel. The track will be back to back on the panel.

Generally these are just installed on a 1 sided panel where you cant see the back, so I cant use the anchors they suggest.

Blind Rivet?

TIA!!!

2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

You could rivet through both tracks and the panel all at once. Use some pieces of banner tape to hold the strips of track on, make sure they are exactly positioned, drill, and rivet.

Or you could mount each side separately, offsetting the holes from the two sides. The rivets will always be behind the track.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Just bolt them up with something decorative, like acorn nuts. Though this might get expensive enough to warrant a second piece of acm and just doing them back to back. I just spent $3 on a half inch acorn nut, but that's obviously way bigger than you need.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    order 8-32 acorn nuts from amazon...lots less expensive

5. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    What about Lexel or panel bond for vehicles? Lord's adhesives should have something too. Unless there's some new track I don't know about there's no way a rivet will work. It will stick through the other side and render the track useless. Same for any type of nut and bolt arrangement.

6. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

With the Zip brand acrylic you can use acrylic cement for mounting on acrylic or Lord adhesive for other substrates. They even sell an expanding pin fastener. The adhesive or mechanical fasteners go through the thick part of the track and do not interfere with the letters. If you use Texas Track, the acrylic adhesive won't work, and indeed, adhesives have trouble because of the curve Texas Track always seems to have. Since this is a two-sided sign with track on both sides, mechanical fasteners are fin--you just have to line everything up to use the same holes and rivets/bolts on both sides.
    https://cdn.grimco.com/Pdf/Home/Vie...duct/ZipChangeLettertrack/datasheet/Track.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    3M VHB. If you are worried about the grey just put a white strip on the track.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    With the acorn nuts are you talking about using all thread studs so that it's the same on both sides or using a bolt and the nut?

9. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I did this years ago and it didnt work. Dirt got stuck in the gaps. I ended up using fasteners

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Or worse, the tape stays tacky and the letters get hung constantly. Especially when people think they have to slide them all the way in from one end or the other...

11. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yea that happened too. I ended up scrapping the whole panel and starting over.

12. joshGN

joshGN Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Edmond,Ok
    thanks for the input!

13. joshGN

joshGN Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Edmond,Ok
    update on this...
    I ended up using E6000....it worked fine(so far), but the project had it challenges...and I wont ever do another one...LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I think I remember telling myself that on the last one too.

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I say this every time I have a vandal cover lock go south in the field. Holy hell is it impossible to get anything to line up after coach drops it shut for 10 years. Even worse is refabbing part on site!
    But regardless, I love a happy ending!