• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zoo Printing opinions?

Mike F

Anyone have experience with them? Any pros or cons to using them? Now, I'm kind've thrown for a loop here, so sorry if some of this sounds a bit random. There's going to be a Zoo Printing facility opening up not too far from here, same town we're in actually. Here's my predicament: we're getting a new online storefront system that's mostly focused on digital, and we're debating on whether to bring in a digital machine (Xerox iGen4) or whether we should start out with outsourcing to them. I would love to keep everything in house, but I'm not sure we can justify the cost of bringing in the iGen until things start to pick up. I just got the e-mail this morning that we're looking at the iGen, and about 20 minutes ago got another e-mail about the Zoo Printing facility opening up around here soon. Like I said, I'm not sure we can justify bringing in the iGen, but I have concerns about outsourcing to Zoo Printing as well. While it would be great to have someone we could outsource all of that to so close by, I'm also worried that we may lose customers with them being so close by. So I guess my main question is, are they truly trade-only? Or do they have another division that sells retail as well? I guess that would be my other concern with bringing in the iGen as well, if they do do retail, I can't see us being able to compete, and I don't want to recommend that we bring one in if we won't be able to get any work for it anyway. Any thoughts or comments welcome. I know this could be a disaster in the making which is why I'm turning to you guys for some guidance. Would especially like to hear from people who run a digital press in their shop but I'm certainly open to opinions from everyone else as well, any and all input is much appreciated.

fresh

I use them and like the fact that their customer service is available by phone. I don't think I've ever had a problem with the printing of any of my orders. I think they are quick and offer a quality product. I'm very excited that they are opening a facility in NJ, and I hope they will be able to expand their product line even more than they have in the past few years.

toomeycustoms

We use them. They have rush service available and we haven't had any problems with speed or quality. There prices are a little higher than got print, but they will price match. Just a pain have to request a price match each time. I'd rather support a trade only printer than got print, who sells direct to my potential customers at pretty much the same price.

C

ColoPrinthead

Just curious, why an IGen? Have you looked at the HP Indigo? It has superior quality in my opinion and it takes up less floor space. Also, as a former designer the Xerox FreeFlow RIP makes me want to stab my eyes out and drink a bottle of acetone.

Mike F

Just curious, why an IGen? Have you looked at the HP Indigo? It has superior quality in my opinion and it takes up less floor space. Also, as a former designer the Xerox FreeFlow RIP makes me want to stab my eyes out and drink a bottle of acetone.

That's just what they've been looking at, we're supposed to be getting a demo of it in another shop around here sometime next week. I was looking on another forum more geared towards offset / digital and saw the Indigo mentioned a few times as a better alternative, so I guess I'll look into a bit more and see what I can dig up. After talking with the prepress manager and our VP though, I think we'll most likely be outsourcing to Zoo for the time being, still want to do my homework on this stuff for now though as we're definitely looking at bring one in eventually. Right now though Zoo seems to make the most sense, no additional investments and they'll practically be around the corner if we have any issues.

As I've said though, I'd still like to do my homework on digital machines now, if only for future reference. What are some of the pros and cons for the iGen4 vs. the Indigo? I'll definitely be keeping what you said about the RIP in mind, although I would assume we'd be getting the one with the Fiery / EFI RIP since our new digital storefront is through EFI. Any experience with that one? What RIP does the HP Indigo use? Is there a certain model / configuration of the Indigo that you'd recommend?

Thanks by the way, in my state of confusion and semi-panic you reminded me that I hadn't even asked the most important question: "why?"

C

ColoPrinthead

The IGen4 is more of a toner based tradition color copier type technology and can sometimes look a little slick, expecially with blacks. If you have seen the gloss ink look of Docucolor print its similar though less sheen. Xerox is pretty good about getting techs out when the machine goes down, I have seen about the same response time at shops on polar opposites of the playing field in terms of size and volume they do, I take this to mean that they don't play favorites.

The Indigo is an interesting machine, the inks are actually a latex that come in a can. It's less like a copier the way the IGen is and closer to tradition offset, the way the paper travels through the machine. There is a plate like image that picks up a charge causing ink to float through the air and land where the images is. Its really neat technology, its actually still around in large part to George Soros. These machines have a lot of consumables and can be more maintenance heavy than the Xerox. If I recall correctly 4 Over had indigos when they were just in California.

I don't know what going on with EFI these days, I worked with one of their RIPs for KPG DI hybrid press but it was a long time ago and that job was a night mare because the press was installed with a poorly made profile.

I thinks it cool you might be getting some new toys in the future.